This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
This interactive course will highlight the added value that data analytics can offer a professional as a decision support tool in management decision making. It will show the use of data analytics to support strategic initiatives; to inform on policy information; and to direct operational decision making. The course will emphasize applications of data analytics in management practice; focus on the valid interpretation of data analytics findings; and create a clearer understanding of how to integrate quantitative reasoning into management decision making. Exposure to the discipline of data analytics will ultimately promote greater confidence in the use of evidence-based information to support management decision making.
By the end of this training program, delegates will be able to:
- Appreciate data analytics in a decision support role.
- Explain the scope and structure of data analytics.
- Apply a cross-section of useful data analytics.
- Interpret meaningfully and critically assess statistical evidence.
- Identify relevant applications of data analytics in practice.
## Course Outline
Setting the Statistical Scene in Management
- Introduction; The quantitative landscape in management
- Thinking statistically about applications in management (identifying KPIs)
- The integrative elements of data analytics
- Data: The raw material of data analytics (types, quality and data preparation)
- Exploratory data analysis using excel (pivot tables)
- Using summary tables and visual displays to profile sample data
Evidence-based Observational Decision Making
- Numeric descriptors to profile numeric sample data
- Central and non-central location measures
- Quantifying dispersion in sample data
- Examine the distribution of numeric measures (skewness and bimodal)
- Exploring relationships between numeric descriptors
- Breakdown analysis of numeric measures
Statistical Decision Making – Drawing Inferences from Sample Data
- The foundations of statistical inference
- Quantifying uncertainty in data – the normal probability distribution
- The importance of sampling in inferential analysis
- Sampling methods (random-based sampling techniques)
- Understanding the sampling distribution concept
- Confidence interval estimation
Statistical Decision Making – Drawing Inferences from Hypotheses Testing
- The rationale of hypotheses testing
- The hypothesis testing process and types of errors
- Single population tests (tests for a single mean)
- Two independent population tests of means
- Matched pairs test scenarios
- Comparing means across multiple populations
Predictive Decision Making - Statistical Modeling and Data Mining
- Exploiting statistical relationships to build prediction-based models
- Model building using regression analysis
- Model building process – the rationale and evaluation of regression models
- Data mining overview – its evolution
- Descriptive data mining – applications in management
- Predictive (goal-directed) data mining – management applications
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Who should attend
- Professionals in management support roles
- Analysts who typically encounter data / analytical information regularly in their work environment
- Those who seek to derive greater decision making value from data analytics