Who should attend
- Professionals in management support roles
- Analysts who typically encounter data / analytical information regularly in their work environment
- Those who seek to derive greater decision making value from data analytics
About the course
This interactive course will highlight the added value that data analytics can offer a professional as a decision support tool in management decision making. It will show the use of data analytics to support strategic initiatives; to inform on policy information; and to direct operational decision making. The course will emphasize applications of data analytics in management practice; focus on the valid interpretation of data analytics findings; and create a clearer understanding of how to integrate quantitative reasoning into management decision making. Exposure to the discipline of data analytics will ultimately promote greater confidence in the use of evidence-based information to support management decision making.
By the end of this training program, delegates will be able to:
- Appreciate data analytics in a decision support role.
- Explain the scope and structure of data analytics.
- Apply a cross-section of useful data analytics.
- Interpret meaningfully and critically assess statistical evidence.
- Identify relevant applications of data analytics in practice.
## Course Outline
Setting the Statistical Scene in Management
- Introduction; The quantitative landscape in management
- Thinking statistically about applications in management (identifying KPIs)
- The integrative elements of data analytics
- Data: The raw material of data analytics (types, quality and data preparation)
- Exploratory data analysis using excel (pivot tables)
- Using summary tables and visual displays to profile sample data
Evidence-based Observational Decision Making
- Numeric descriptors to profile numeric sample data
- Central and non-central location measures
- Quantifying dispersion in sample data
- Examine the distribution of numeric measures (skewness and bimodal)
- Exploring relationships between numeric descriptors
- Breakdown analysis of numeric measures
Statistical Decision Making – Drawing Inferences from Sample Data
- The foundations of statistical inference
- Quantifying uncertainty in data – the normal probability distribution
- The importance of sampling in inferential analysis
- Sampling methods (random-based sampling techniques)
- Understanding the sampling distribution concept
- Confidence interval estimation
Statistical Decision Making – Drawing Inferences from Hypotheses Testing
- The rationale of hypotheses testing
- The hypothesis testing process and types of errors
- Single population tests (tests for a single mean)
- Two independent population tests of means
- Matched pairs test scenarios
- Comparing means across multiple populations
Predictive Decision Making - Statistical Modeling and Data Mining
- Exploiting statistical relationships to build prediction-based models
- Model building using regression analysis
- Model building process – the rationale and evaluation of regression models
- Data mining overview – its evolution
- Descriptive data mining – applications in management
- Predictive (goal-directed) data mining – management applications
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.