Who should attend
The program is designed for individuals with prior experience in the discipline of project management, including:
- Project Management professionals
- Graduates of the MCPM or similar programs
- Those undertaking unique projects
About the course
Increase your focus, competence and self-confidence as a leader
Today’s organizations are looking for tomorrow’s leadership team, and project managers make great leaders! As an experienced PM, the next step in your career could very well take you to the senior leadership level. But how do you get there? What will it take to get you ready for this next level? How can you move from a management position to one of senior leadership within your industry or elsewhere? This three-day workshop will give participants a solid understanding of the three key elements that PMs need to embrace to become great leaders
Learn with peers across Canada.
This program is delivered simultaneously across Canada by the University Executive Education Network partner schools allowing you to interact, engage and network with peers from a huge variety of industries and experience.
What You Will Learn
Learn the three critical skills that will allow you to leverage your PM experience and prepare you for a move into senior leadership within your industry or elsewhere:
1) Strategic thinking and planning,
2) Business acumen for thinking beyond projects and
3) Communication skills that inspire confidence
Participants will come away from the program inspired to reach to the next level, and armed with a new road-map for their careers — their own professional strategic plan to guide them on the journey to senior leadership.
• Familiarity with the strategic planning process
• Increased awareness of the factors that guide and impact strategic thinking
• Strategic options and mechanisms for choosing the right course of action
• Key business leadership mindset questions to ask
• Systematic ways to identify and assess key business problems and opportunities
• Critical thinking skills using proven leadership tools and techniques.
• Improved efficiency and effectiveness when planning and implementing change initiatives
• Communicating with authority
• How to ensure you build your on-the job credibility
• Understand the art and science of modern decision-making techniques
• Present thoughtful, organized messages to connect and persuade your listeners
Strategy and Strategic Thinking
Learn the tools and frameworks for strategic decision-making. Cultivate a systematic way of thinking that enables you to develop comprehensive answers to key questions.
- Strategy vs. Business Model
- The Strategic Management Process
- External and Internal Environment Analysis
- Choosing the Right Strategy(ies)
Developing Your Business Acumen – Thinking Beyond Projects
Develop a CEO mindset that considers a wider scope. Learn the essential concepts, tools, techniques and skills needed to manage the entire business.
- Taking an inventory of your business acumen
- Identifying the business problem / opportunity
- Techniques to think strategically and critically
- Planning and implementing change
Communicating Like a Leader
Connect with stakeholders, customers, team members, senior management teams, sponsors and more by developing your own professional and thoughtful communication style.
- Presentation skills to differentiate you
- Writing skills for connecting with people
- Influencing and being heard – the first time
- Communication techniques to ensure your messages are understood and compelling
Leadership in Action
Leading effectively (colleagues, clients, and stakeholders as well as leadership, staff and management) is the key to taking your business initiatives to higher success levels.
- Develop effective leadership strategies
- Decision-making techniques that gain buy-in
- Connect with others to build a solid network
- Assess your leadership style’s credibility
Biography Diana Kawarsky specializes in business communications for Schulich’s Executive Education Centre, York University. In addition, she is a facilitator, adult educator, coach and management consultant with Fortune 500 companies throughout North America. Her experience spans nearly 20 years....
Biography Gail is one of Canada’s most experienced negotiators and professional instructors in the field of business negotiating and innovative negotiated solutions. She is a Harvard University trained specialist in both collaborative and competitive bargaining methods, and facilitates negotiatio...
Biography Wissam AlHussaini holds a PhD in Business Administration from John Molson School of Business at Concordia University and an MBA degree from Suliman S. Olayan School of Business at the American University of Beirut. Over the years, Wissam has designed and delivered numerous training prog...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.