Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Executives who initiate, drive and lead innovation strategies in their organizations
- Senior executives, division presidents, vice presidents and directors who are ready to challenge traditional approaches to innovation
- Multiple participants from the same organization who share innovating responsibilities
About the course
The world of business has been disrupted in fundamental ways by the COVID-19 pandemic. But disruption also creates a historic opportunity for innovation, allowing you to transform your business and capitalize on opportunities in the post–COVID-19 world. Winning business leaders know that the key to value creation and sustained growth lies in innovation.
Leaders can create new value for their customers, consumers or constituents by launching new products and services, entering new markets, creating new business models and even new businesses, or rethinking key processes. There has never been a better time to innovate than this time of crisis.
This intensive program takes you through all the essential elements of creating, leading and sustaining a culture of innovation. Our expert faculty and industry-practitioner experts will guide you through an exploration of how to instill an innovation mindset within your organization, how to identify resources and commercialize innovation opportunities, how to foster innovative behaviors and values, how to build innovation capabilities and how to create an agile and innovative organization. Every participant will be coached on how to develop an innovation strategy for their own organization and an Innovation Culture Blueprint. Some participants will also present their strategy and blueprint to their peers.
- Learn how business leaders are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Create your personal innovation leadership plan
- Learn to lead the creation of an innovative culture within your organization and empower your employees to sustain it
- Become skilled at identifying, prioritizing, resourcing and commercializing innovation opportunities
- Create the behaviors and incentives that foster innovation in your organization
- Acquire tools and techniques for effectively leading and motivating innovators
Understanding Innovation Best Practices
- Seek the balance between strategy, process and culture
- Apply them to your own organization
Creating an Innovative Culture
- Identify key examples of leadership styles that foster innovation
- Secure management commitment to create an innovative culture
- Know when, how and why to reward risk and failure as well as success
Discovering the Leader Within
- Become a "Peopleship" leader
- Define your current values framework and leadership approach
- Develop your leadership profile and uncover your hidden challenges
- Create your own personal leadership-vision statement
Activating Values-based Leadership
- Discover the values and norms of effective organizations
- Learn to rejuvenate your workplace
Leading the Growth Process
- Identify innovation and growth opportunities
- Grow entrepreneurship inside the organization
- Lead disruptive innovation
Leveraging Intellectual Capital and Technology
- Make informed investments in technology innovation
- Understand and manage your intellectual-asset portfolio
- Build and manage strategic alliances for innovation
- Create an agile organization to accelerate decisions
Explore a Commercialization Process
- Learn to manage risk and uncertainty in commercializing innovation
- Understand the need for different metrics, processes and skills along the innovation journey
- Define a complete standard operating procedure for innovation
Prof. Sawhney is a globally recognized scholar, teacher, consultant and speaker in business innovation, modern marketing and Artificial Intelligence applications in business. Prof. Sawhney has written seven management books as well as dozens of influential articles in leading academic journals a...
Harry M. Jansen Kraemer, Jr. is an executive partner with Madison Dearborn Partners, a private equity firm based in Chicago, Illinois and a Clinical Professor of Strategy at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management. He was named the 2008 Kellogg School Professor of the Year. Harry i...
Ed Zajac joined the faculty of the Kellogg School of Management after completing his Ph.D. in organization and strategy at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. At Kellogg, he received the James F. Bere Chair and the Sidney J. Levy Teaching Award. He was a Fulbright Scholar at the Unive...
James Conley is an inventor who serves as a faculty member in the Kellogg Center for Research in Technology & Innovation. He also serves as a Faculty Fellow at the Northwestern University Segal Design Institute. He is a Charter Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors In 2004, 2007, 201...
Thomas D. Kuczmarski, senior partner and president of Kuczmarski Innovation, is a nationally recognized expert in the innovation of new products and services. Over the course of his career he has helped hundreds of clients, ranging from small businesses to Fortune 100 corporations, learn to syste...
Dr. Susan Smith Kuczmarski is a well-known authority on values-based leadership. Her areas of expertise include: How Culture and Values Impact Innovation, Building Innovation Leadership, and New Leadership for an Innovative Edge. She currently teaches “Creating and Leading A Culture of Innovation...
Dr. Mary Ellen Weber is a consultant in technology innovation, strategic communications, and high-risk operations through her company Stellar Strategies. She also serves on the NASA Advisory Council Committee on Technology, Innovation and Engineering, which advises NASA leadership on future space...
Bob Cooper is a Lecturer of Executive Programs and Academic Director as well as a Senior Fellow, Center for Research in Technology & Innovation at the Kellogg School of Management. Bob's accomplishments are highlighted by a 32 year career with the DuPont Company in which he held numerous man...
Andrew Razeghi is a writer, educator, and adviser to organizations on growth strategy and innovation. As founder of The Andrew Razeghi Companies, LLC, he works with organizations seeking growth through the creation and introduction of new ideas. His work spans industries - from consumer packaged ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.