Insead Blue Ocean Strategy
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with INSEAD Business School.Full disclaimer.
INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy offers a new perspective on strategy formulation and execution. Delivered by world-class faculty, this programme will teach you how to apply the theory created by INSEAD professors W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne. In implementing the tools, concepts and frameworks of Blue Ocean Strategy, you will learn to create ‘blue oceans’ of uncontested market space to help you make the competition irrelevant. You will gain key insights on how these concepts complement and go beyond traditional approaches to strategy. There is also a strong emphasis on learning how to apply Blue Ocean Strategy to real business situations in order to help your business break away from the competition and achieve strong profitable growth.
An important part of the programme is the opportunity for you to immediately start applying Blue Ocean Strategy to analyse your own organisation’s strategic challenges. In addition, to enrich the learning experience, you will provide feedback and ideas for other participants, as they search for their own ‘blue oceans’.
INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy enables you to discover strategic moves – termed ‘Value Innovation’ – which can create powerful leaps in value for both the firm and its customers, rendering rivals obsolete and unleashing new demand.
HOW YOU BENEFIT
- Gain a new framework for strategy design and implementation. Acquire an in-depth understanding of Blue Ocean Strategy tools and concepts developed at INSEAD.
- Motivate your organisation. Learn how to engage your colleagues in a Blue Ocean Strategy process.
- Develop an actionable plan. Start developing Blue Ocean Strategy for your organisation in order to break away from the competition through ‘Value Innovation’, the simultaneous pursuit of differentiation and low cost.
INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy enables you to create ‘blue oceans’ of uncontested market space and to discover how strategic moves – termed ‘Value Innovation’ – can create powerful leaps in value for both the firm and its customers, rendering rivals obsolete and unleashing new demand. It is an intensive four-day programme featuring a mix of lectures, discussions, case analysis and workshops where you will analyse your own business. Hence, you are encouraged to come with a specific challenge that you would like to work on during the programme.
ASSESSMENT: HOW BLUE IS YOUR OCEAN?
- Analyse the current ‘As-Is’ situation facing your business
- Draw the ‘As-Is’ strategic canvas of your business
- Evaluate the range of industry assumptions and the cost implications
- Contrast the outcome of a ‘blue ocean’ analysis with the outcome of a ‘red ocean’ perspective
FOUNDATIONS OF BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY
- Identify ‘red’ and ‘blue oceans’
- Learn how to achieve ‘Value Innovation'
- Reconstruct market boundaries to break away from the competition
- Adapt analytical tools such as the 'Strategy Canvas' and 'Eliminate-Reduce-Raise-Create'
REVIEW AND CRITIQUE OF COMPETITIVE STRATEGY
- Evaluate tools and concepts of traditional competitive strategy
IMPLEMENTING BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY
- Explore the two key approaches central to implementing Blue Ocean Strategy fast and at low cost while winning the support of employees
- Understand 'Tipping Point Leadership'
- Use 'Fair Process' in facilitating the execution of a Blue Ocean Strategy for your organisation
CREATING NEW MARKET SPACE
- Unlock new demand in a market
- Understand the 'Three Tiers of Non-Customers'
- Draw your 'Buyer Utility Map'
- Use the 'Six Paths' framework to reconstruct market boundaries
LOOKING FOR YOUR OWN 'BLUE OCEAN'
- Start the process of searching for a ‘blue ocean’ of new market space
- Practise using the various tools and frameworks and take advantage of the diverse perspectives of fellow participants
Who should attend
This programme is especially relevant to those seeking to break out of the traditional ‘red ocean' of competition and create strong profitable growth for their organisation in both existing and new markets.
It will be of benefit to senior executives, business owners, heads of strategy or executives from mid- to upper-level management directly involved in the development of new products and services.
While individual applications are welcome, participants are encouraged to attend the programme with colleagues (up to six people) so as to make more progress on issues affecting their organisation and pave the way for creating a Blue Ocean Strategy on their return to the office.