India—Senior Executive Leadership Program
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Harvard Business School.Full disclaimer.
India has emerged as one of the fastest-growing economies in the world. To seize opportunities and sustain success under shifting global business conditions, companies need executives who are exceptional leaders—confident decision-makers, skilled strategists, global thinkers, and effective change agents.
Taking place in four modules over the course of a year, the Senior Executive Leadership Program–India accelerates the transformation of experienced senior executives into capable leaders who can drive business success. Delivered in a series of modules in Boston and Mumbai, this business management program can take your leadership skills and your career to the next level. You will become a stronger leader who can design competitive strategies in a global context, promote continuous innovation, and overcome obstacles to growth.
Focused on helping growing businesses in India and beyond develop greater leadership capacity, this intensive program empowers you to look critically at the business as a whole—and build and lead a high-performance organization. You will emerge better prepared to make the bold market moves that foster business growth.
- Think strategically and find innovative approaches to business challenges
- Seize growth opportunities and compete successfully in a complex global economy
- Improve your organization's ability to deliver value to customers
- Lead authentically and ethically at all levels and foster a culture of accountability across the organization
- Build confidence in yourself as both a leader and a decision-maker
- Develop enduring bonds with accomplished peers who span functions, industries, and countries
- Take advantage of resources for lifelong learning as a member of the global HBS alumni community
What You Will Learn
The innovative and comprehensive curriculum of the Senior Executive Leadership Program—India will take you beyond business basics to focus on the challenges of greatest concern to corporate leaders today—across India and the globe. Requiring just seven weeks away from the office over the course of a year, the unique format maximizes learning and the development of a global perspective, while minimizing consecutive days away from home and work.
Four intensive in-class modules—two in Boston and two in Mumbai—include faculty presentations, case discussions, guest speakers, and skill-building exercises. Through personal coaching and special projects, you will address the leadership challenges facing you and your organization. Between modules, work on an individual strategy project and sharpen your leadership skills. As you try out new approaches in your workplace, you will have the opportunity to reflect on your experience, receive feedback from your boss and colleagues, and bring new insights back to the classroom.
Module 1: Imperatives for today's organizations and leaders
Format: HBS Campus, Boston
The first module provides an overview of critical business issues and topics that you will examine in greater depth in subsequent modules, including:
- Strategy: Looking critically at your business as a whole; evaluating your company's capabilities, advantages, potential, and challenges in the context of the global economy; and cultivating new sources of value and advantage
- Leadership: Building your capabilities in the context of the leader's multifaceted role; becoming a more effective negotiator; leading authentically and ethically while creating a more accountable organization; and driving changes that generate performance and shareholder value
- Innovation: Becoming an entrepreneurial leader; leveraging design thinking and improving
- your organization's ability to innovate; and taking full advantage of digital technologies and related opportunities
- Globalization: Gaining a broader understanding of the increasingly interconnected global economy and how global conditions affect your company's opportunities and challenges in both developed and emerging markets
Diving deeply into the case method of learning, you will open yourself to new insights as you work individually, in small groups, and in the larger classroom. You will begin working on your Value Mapping Strategy project and also use a detailed questionnaire as the basis for starting work with your personal coach
Module 2: Creating, capturing, and measuring value
Format: Taj Lands End, Mumbai
You will examine how successful companies build the capabilities to create customer value and sustain competitive advantage. In the process, you will expand your ability to define, measure, and monitor performance—and align your company's operations to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Design sound competitive strategies and growth plans
- Deliver more value to customers—and corporate stakeholders
- Empower employees and align service levels and cultures with strategic choices
- Translate corporate mission and business strategy into a comprehensive set of performance targets and measures
- Balance economic, social, and governance goals while managing risk
Module 3: Becoming an agile leader
Format: Taj Lands End, Mumbai
You will focus on improving your personal performance as a leader and refining a key executive skill—negotiating. Examining multiple dimensions of innovation, you will learn how open, creative, and exploratory thinking can contribute to both personal and organizational success.
- Adapt your leadership style to your organization's needs while managing competing demands on your time
- Expand your ability to manage yourself, your team, and your internal and external networks
- Negotiate more effectively—in routine situations or in high-stakes deals on which your company's future depends
- Develop and sustain an empowered, entrepreneurial, and innovative culture
- Embrace the strategic and tactical opportunities presented by new technologies and trends
Module 4: Leadership and change
Format: HBS Campus, Boston
You will refine leadership strategies that can help you take your company forward. Reflecting on course themes and your leadership journey during the past year, you will delve into the nature of authentic, responsible leadership and prepare to continue growing as a leader throughout your career.
- Drive the changes that align your organization to achieve strategic goals while improving accountability
- Meet your organization's ongoing financial needs, ethical obligations, and legal requirements
- Foster effective teamwork by empowering and inspiring others
- Lead authentically with greater self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and integrity
- Balance work and home life and obtain greater satisfaction from your leadership role
Who should attend
Experienced senior executives who are general managers or functional leaders, particularly those assuming new responsibilities or driving new growth initiatives.
- Large, established companies
- Entrepreneurial ventures—either new companies or new ventures within established companies
- Family businesses
- Multinational firms with an increased presence in South Asia
- Nonprofit organizations
- Government agencies, especially those working closely with the private sector