Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome. You can register for this course without applying and enrolling in a program.
About the course
Designed to assist students to identify relevant systems and metrics that are cost effective, measure necessary variables, and establish benchmarks. Topics such as: cost per hire, turnover rates/ costs, training and human capital ROI, labor/ productivity rates and costs, benefit costs per employee, sick leave usage will be covered.
Course at a glance
- Fully online course, accessible through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Learn through lectures and lively discussions, as you broaden your network and apply the course content to the context of your own work or organization and explore its implications for your professional practice.
- Explore topics such as cost per hire, turnover rates/costs, training and human capital ROI, labor/productivity rates and costs, benefit costs per employee, and sick leave usage.
- Aimed at emerging to mid-career individuals looking to advance in their career in the area of human resources or in supervisory positions. It will be of special interest, among others, to HR practitioners, managers, supervisors, and training coordinators.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Have an awareness, appreciation, and understanding of HR metrics and their potential to impact organizations.
- Understand how to effectively use and apply HR analytics, including being knowledgeable of their potential and pitfalls.
- Design and develop HR metric tools, as well as implementation strategies and procedures for managing key organizational issues, challenges, and problems.
- Understand the organizational issues associated with performing an HR audit.
- Understand the linkages necessary in HR to lead and manage the development and application of metrics tools, including strategic HR scorecards.
- Use presentation skills to introduce an analytic tool or framework that will assist an organization to manage its human resources in a strategic way.
- This is a graded course; assessment activities may include exams, projects, presentations, journals, or research papers.
- Refer to the course syllabus for details on activities and assignments.
- A textbook is required for this course; further information will be provided in the course syllabus.
- Additional learning materials are provided through eClass at no additional cost.
Effective July 2020, I have been affiliated with Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Management in the School of Business. Prior to that I was an associate professor with the Faculty of Extension (2017 - 2020) and the School of Public Health (1997 - 2016). I began my academic career as an assistant pr...
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Human Capital Management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.