Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This course is intended for personnel involved in electrical engineering in general and who involved in high voltage field (generation, transmission, sub-stations, distribution networks, and testing any electrical equipment).
About the course
As utilities reassess equipment to upgrade existing infrastructures or build new ones, Power Engineering is undergoing significant change. There is a need to train engineers in the fundamentals of High Voltage (HV) technology, equipment, and laboratory test techniques. This course covers HV test and measuring systems, as well as analysis techniques applied to power system apparatus such as cables, insulators, transformers and generators. Hands-on lab work is done in the Kinectrics High Voltage Lab, which is equipped with AC impulse and DC test equipment. The HV Lab is used on a regular basis by national and international utilities for measuring and testing.
Upon the successful completion of this course, each participants will be able to:-
- Understand the proper precautions to avoid electrical shocks for electrical equipment.
- Understand the basic and fundamental concept of the Insulation Protection (IP).
- Apply the basic and fundamental concept of the different test techniques.
- Understand the proper precautions to avoid the electromagnetic fields.
- Understand the Installation of high voltage equipment.
- Discuss, investigate and measure the expected hazards for any electrical equipment.
- Understand and predict the measurements needed to test any electrical equipment.
- Select the proper instrument and scale for the measurements.
- Understand the equipment used in generation, transmission, sub-stations, distribution networks.
- Calculate and measure the electric and magnetic fields around any equipment.
Day 1 :
- High Voltage Equipment In Generation
- High Voltage Equipment In Transmission Networks
- High Voltage Equipment In Sub-Stations
Day 2 :
- High Voltage Equipment In Distribution Networks
- High Voltage Testing Setup
- High and Medium Voltage Substations Arrangements and Equipment
- Bus bars arrangement
- Supply Lines and Cables Connections
- Transformers Arrangements
- Measurements, Protection and Control of High Voltage
- The different types of test techniques
Day 3 :
- High Voltage Switchgear
- Isolating Switches
- Circuit Breakers
- Types (Air, Gas, and Liquid)
- Design and Construction
- Principles of Arc Interruption
- S.C. Current Calculations and C.B. Interruption Capacity
- Switching Surges, Methods of Surge Damping
Day 4 :
- Installation of High Voltage Equipment
- The Different Precautions Taken For High Voltage Equipment
- Calculate and Measure the Electric and Magnetic Fields Around any Equipment.
- Role of System Grounding
Day 5 :
- Protection against High Voltage Surges and Lightning Strokes on Land and on Marine Surfaces
- Lightning Strokes
- Current and Voltage Wave Shape
- Protection against High Voltage Surges
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.