Who should attend
This course is recommended for HR practitioners responsible for grievance, discipline, dismissal and dispute resolution in their workplace. Whilst it’s not essential that delegates have conducted grievance, discipline, dismissal or disputes, it’s important that delegates have a basic knowledge of the procedures.
About the course
Get a thorough understanding of best practice in grievance, disciplinary, and dismissal processes, and develop strategies for risk management and dispute resolution in the workplace.
Knowing how to apply the law effectively to grievance, discipline or dismissal situations is essential for HR professionals. The Grievance, Discipline and Dismissals course provides a thorough review of the legal issues to be aware of when resolving disputes in the workplace and will help you manage problem situations effectively and according to best practice.
This course also takes learning to the next level by teaching you how to identify and mitigate risks during grievance, discipline and dismissals processes, and how to conduct dispute resolution.
By the end of the Grievance, Discipline and Dismissals course, you'll be able to:
- expand your knowledge of good practice in dealing with both formal and informal procedures
- clarify understanding of both contractual and policy-based procedures and legal implications
- delve into the role of the HR Practitioner in the formal processes
- consolidate your knowledge of the different types of dismissals
- explore the five fair reasons for dismissal, identifying priority areas and clarifying best practice in decision making
- ensure risk management remains in focus
- discover options for resolution including alternative dispute resolution.
This course will cover:
Introduction: A Disciplinary and Grievance Procedure: What is it for?
- Research and discussion
The legal status of the disciplinary and grievance procedure
- Section 1 statements
- A contractual procedure
- Policy based procedures
The ACAS Code
- Status of the Code
- Content of the Code
- Complying with the Code
Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures Procedural Issues
- The basics - defining a grievance and a disciplinary procedure
- Maintaining a fair procedure
- A fair process - Grievances: managing informal and formal stages
- A fair process - Disciplinary matters: managing formal and informal stages
- Procedural Flashpoints-Discussion
Common Grievance and Disciplinary issues
The role of the HR Practitioner in Disciplinary and Grievance procedures
- Law and procedure
- legal guidance on some tricky areas
The law on dismissals
- What is a dismissal in law
- Different types of dismissal and when they occur
Unfair dismissal claims and defences
- The five fair reasons
- What will make a dismissal fair for each reason?
Employment Tribunals and Unfair Dismissal claims
- Employment tribunals - function role and powers
- The role of performance management
- Resolving disputes:
- mediation, ACAS and Settlement Agreements
- Tips on negotiating a resolution
Read more about Human Capital Management
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.