About the course
The transition from star player to team coach is a tremendous leap. All too often new managers are thrown into challenging circumstances with limited support and resources. As an organizational psychologist, Dr. Woodward believes that effective management is rooted in understanding the psychology of human nature. During this session Dr. Woodward will facilitate self-insight and provide simple techniques for effectively managing in this ever changing business environment. Dr. Woodward will focus on developing self-insight, building trust, having tough conversations, and learning the art of influence. The session will blend interactive lectures, individual exercises, and group discussions. The session will culminate with each participant making commitments to turning their learning into action.
Time Allocation - Topics
20% The Values Compass – Understanding the Role of Values in Managing (discussion and card sort exercise)
- The Role of values in managing and leading • Identifying and articulating your five (5) core values
15% Critical Conversations – Having those tough talks about performance
- Why management all comes down to conversations
- A model for conducting critical conversations
10% The Trust Factor – Creating a team bond
- A five-component model for building trust
- Creating familiarity: The key to building trust among colleagues and staff
15% The Art of Persuasion – Influencing others to action
- Influence vs. power: Changing minds not just behavior
- A model for building influence
15% Getting Out of the Weeds – Letting go through delegation
- What to let go of and when to do it!
- An opportunity to develop your staff
20% Know Your ROTs: Developing Management Rules-of-Thumb
- The three ROTS: Red, yellow, and green rules of thumb
- Knowing and effectively using your ROTS
5% Committing to Action (individual exercises)
- What are you going to commit to doing?
- When will you have it done and how will you measure success?
Primary -- LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT: Adaptability, Commitment, Communication, Decisiveness, Developmental Perspective, Empathy, Interpersonal Relations, Motivation
Secondary -- EXECUTING/CONTROLLING/EVALUATING: Decision Making, Use of Authority, Delegation
Tertiary -- PLANNING/ORGANIZING: Problem Identification, Evaluating Alternative Solutions, Developing Specific Plans
Michael “Dr. Woody” Woodward, PhD is a CEC certified professional coach trained in the field of industrial and organizational psychology. As a consultant and professional coach, Dr. Woody works with both private and corporate clients on building management/leadership capacity and the psychology o...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.