Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with London Business School.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Create the perfect conditions for financing entrepreneurial businesses. Navigate and explore each stage of the deal cycle, from both sides of the table.
Create the conditions for a successful deal
Are you a high-potential entrepreneur seeking investment? Or an angel, venture capitalist or private equity investor eager to maximise returns? Come together in this practical programme.
Benefits for you
- Gain practical tools and frameworks. Learn to structure successful deals, understand valuation techniques and leverage funds to improve returns.
- Explore initial public offerings, exit strategies and trade sales. Share experiences from both the entrepreneur and the investor viewpoint – all within one classroom.
- Value what an early-stage venture or buyout is worth – and learn how to buy a business with other people’s money.
- For investors: Grasp what drives entrepreneurs, and build your network to enhance your deal flow.
- For entrepreneurs: What drives investors? Discover what angels and venture capitalists are looking for, how to identify one who will add value and how to build ‘win-win’ outcomes.
Benefits for your organisation
- Improve your organisation’s ability to make better valuations and choose optimal financing options.
- Learn to avoid costly pitfalls and make the right exit choices.
- Enhance your deal flow and financing options through a strong and dynamic international network.
What you learn
- Explore a range of scenarios, including financing a start-up, management buy-outs, holding equity, institutional investing and harvesting.
- Investigate actual deals in emerging markets, Europe and the US, and improve your global deal-making perspective.
- Discover how to value privately-held companies and examine the non-financial factors impacting those valuations.
- See due diligence from both sides of the table, explore shareholder agreements, and learn how to structure and price financing options and manage multiple rounds of financing.
- Become a savvy investor – look at different considerations and pitfalls, and understand the psychology of deal-making.
- Finalise your exit strategy, focusing on initial public offerings and trade sales.
How you learn
- Learn from our faculty who offer a unique combination of academic rigour and practical expertise.
- Meet, discuss and share experiences with industry professionals from the venture capital, private equity and entrepreneurial communities.
- Accelerate your learning by completing a valuation assignment ahead of time and taking it apart at the first session.
- Collaborate in small groups to apply your learning, and work through your own investment proposal complete with valuation and proposed deal structure.
- Complete an optional post-programme assignment and put your learning straight into practice back in the workplace.
Your learning experience
- Learn from Professor John Mullins, award-winning teacher, scholar and one of the world’s foremost thought leaders in entrepreneurship.
- Get invaluable insight by exploring case studies with faculty member and start-up investor, Professor Martyn Williams.
- Build your knowledge base and leverage global networks in London, a commercially-driven and vibrant business capital.
- Join our dynamic community and boost your confidence to seek out deals across different cultures and markets.
- Gain unique insights – entrepreneurs and investors come together to share experiences, build knowledge and make connections.
- Experience both group work and individual study – take time to reflect on your own learning journey.
Who should attend
- For entrepreneurs running high-potential businesses. This programme is also relevant for their advisors and consultants.
- Those working in or seeking to join venture capital firms.
- Investors in privately-held companies, limited partners or other providers of capital to venture capital or private equity funds.
- Managers running fast-growth business units.
Trust the experts
An award-winning teacher and scholar and one of the world’s foremost thought leaders in entrepreneurship, John brings to his teaching and research 20 years of executive experience in high-growth retailing firms, including two ventures he founded and one he took public. Since becoming an entrepr...
Martyn Williams has extensive experience in entrepreneurial companies, having undertaken numerous executive roles as either CEO, PE investor, VC Investor, Angel Investor, Banker, Lender and more recently Investor Chairman, NXD or Trustee. He has experience of being involved with family business, ...
Financing the Entrepreneurial Business | London Business School