Finance and Accounting for Business Managers
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Indian Institute of Management Calcutta.Full disclaimer.
Business Managers at any level of the organization - higher, middle or entry level, and Managers rendering responsibilities in any functional area - Marketing, Operations, Finance and Accounting, Strategy, or Human Resource, need to take key decisions towards managing their organizations. These decisions can be very critical not only for the success of their organizations but also for accelerating their own career growth. In order to make these decisions judiciously towards helping their organization beat the competition, a manager needs to understand and analyze loads of information bombarding him from various corners of today’s dynamic business environment. A basic grounding in the concepts of accounting and finance is essential and can give him the competitive edge that he needs to excel in his decision making.
The objective of the course is to help all managers gain a competitive edge in their decision making by providing them with basic knowledge and understanding of some of the very important areas in accounting and finance. At the end of the sessions, the managers would be comfortable looking at the financial statements of any company and commenting on its financial performance and position. This would help them decide whether to engage with a company and on what terms. They would also learn how delegation of responsibility in a decentralized setup comes with accountability.
A basic grounding in accounting and finance would make them ready for learning the tools of managing long term resources of the organization and techniques of deciding on short-term and long-term financing. They will also acquire a good understanding of whether a certain capital expenditure, or embarking on a proposed project is a sound decision; of how to make financial decisions under uncertain environment with the help of tools such as Net Present Value (NPV), Internal rate of Return (IRR) and Payback Method; and how a basic valuation of a proposed mergers or acquisition (M&A) can be done. They will also gain insights about analyzing Economic and Industrial conditions as well as understanding characteristics of the Financial Markets in India. All these learnings are expected to make the managers more aware about the tool and techniques of finance and accounting and considerably improve the quality of their future decisions.
- Understanding the basics of Corporate Financial Reporting
- Understanding Financial Statements namely Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement and understanding their inter-relationships
- Analyzing Financial Statements – using tools like Trend Analysis, Vertical analysis and Financial Ratios - to assess a firm’s financial performance and health
- Applying the financial statement analysis skills learnt holistically, using a case and in the context of a real life company- towards decision making
- Understanding responsibility accounting and performance evaluation in Decentralized Organizations
- Understanding the Basic Concepts in Capital Budgeting/Project Evaluation
- Learning How and When to use Net Present Value (NPV), Internal rate of Return (IRR) and Payback Method
- Financial analysis and decision making with respect to choice of projects / capital expenditure
- Gaining Insights into Indian Financial Markets
- Learning Insights about How to analyse Economy and Industry
- Learning how to conduct basic valuation in the context of Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A)
- Understanding issues in long-term and short-term financing decisions
Who should attend
The program is designed for managers at all levels and any vertical, who want an understanding of accounting and finance fundamentals, or need to refresh their knowledge of it. No prior knowledge of finance or accounting is required.