Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Any risk management professional who is just starting is benchmarking or refreshing his/her practices and knowledge in the field.
Among typical roles to which this programme can bring added-value are: risk officers, risk managers, compliance officers, internal control officers, internal auditors, risk advisors, risk consultants, operational risk managers, insurance providers and brokers.
Key admissions criteria
- English proficiency (proof of studies/work experience in English)
- Master the basics of Excel
About the course
Any risk management professional who is just starting, is benchmarking or refreshing his/her practices and knowledge in the field. Among typical roles to which this programme can bring added-value are: risk officers, risk managers, compliance officers, internal control officers, internal auditors, risk advisors, risk consultants, operational risk managers, insurance providers and brokers.
Your benefits Individual
Best practices in action
Understand and implement in your organisation best risk management practices.
Enhance your knowledge
A dual approach to risk management training, together with The Institute of Risk Management, leading to double certification.
Expand your network
Become part of the risk management community and the global IRM network.
Your benefits Collective
Understand the big picture
Develop and implement a holistic approach to risk management within your organisation.
Enhance business performance and improve risk decision making.
Attract and retain high-caliber professionals by investing in personal development.
Experience the difference! You will benefit from the association of the Institute of Risk Management, the world’s leading professional body for Enterprise Risk Management, and the academic excellence of Solvay Brussels School in this highly practical, academically rigorous qualifications to meet industry needs.
RISK MANAGEMENT ESSENTIALS
DAY 1 COURSE CONTENT
Introduction to risk management
- what is risk and risk management?
- why manage risk?
- attributes of effective risk management
- key risk management disciplines
The risk management process
- communication and consultation
- establishing the context
- risk assessment
- risk identification and analysis tools
DAY 2 COURSE CONTENT
The risk management process
- risk profiling - consequence
- probability matrix - risk registers
- risk appetite and tolerance
- risk treatment and risk transfer
- monitoring and review
The risk management framework and embedding a risk culture
- risk management framework
- embedding risk management
- being a successful risk manager
- benefits of risk management
OPERATIONAL RISK MANAGEMENT
DAY 3 (1/2 day) COURSE CONTENT
Operational risk scope and framework
- scope of operational risk
- frameworks: ISO, PRA, Practices
Regulation and governance
- Basel II and III for operational risk
- three lines of defence
Risk identification and scenario analysis and planning
- tools and techniques for risk identification
- process to make scenario analysis repeatable
STRATEGIC RISK MANAGEMENT
DAY 3 (1/2 day) COURSE CONTENT
Risk-taking & value creation
- foundation and approach for creating, capturing and protecting enterprise value
- strategic risk management as a source of competitive advantage
- consequences arising from, and created by, the strategy execution
Corporate reputation & stakeholders
- strategies evaluation in the context of significant internal and external conditions
- analysis of organizational capabilities, environments, forces, events, trends and stakeholders
- risk and reward trade-offs evaluation within the organization's risk appetite
- positive and negative impacts on enterprise value arising from emerging and dynamic changes in the environment
KRIs, KPIs and risk monitoring
- nature and types of preventive KRIs
- identify root causes and event drivers for each of your key risks
- decide strategies for effective reporting of risk indicators that lead to management action
FINANCIAL RISK MANAGEMENT
DAY 4 COURSE CONTENT
The role of finance for enterprises
- the nature and shape of cash flows as a mirror of the activity
- cash flow management
- asset-liability management
- fair-value vs. cash flows
- the role of risk management
- best-practice principles of financial risk management
- lessons learned in practice
Principles of risk-adjusted valuation in financial economics
Market risk monitoring and hedging
- commodities risk
- foreign exchange (FX) risk
- interest-rate (IR) risk
- embedded derivatives (EDs)
Credit risk: assessment, pricing and hedging
- understanding cash-flow and structural solvency, financial diagnosis
- using financial valuation tools to provide for a market valuation of credit risk
PROJECT RISK MANAGEMENT
DAY 5 COURSE CONTENT
Strategy execution through projects
- the project lifecycle: understanding the process flow from strategy definition to project execution and handover to operations
Linking strategic, project an operational risks
- analysing how project risks can impact enterprise strategy and its operations
Project and risk management framework
- the PMBoK as standard framework (PMI)
- the essentials of project management
- the project risk management process in 6 steps
Project & risk planning, monitoring & control through the project lifecycle
- practicing project & risk management i a competitive environment (simulation)
- understanding the trade-offs, risks and consequences of managing the project devils' triangle (scope-time-budget)
Ariane Chapelle has a PhD in Economics and is active in operational risk management since 2000, with experience acquired in managerial functions in ING Group and Lloyds Banking Group. Ariane Chapelle runs since 2006 her own training and consulting practice in risk management. Her clients are made...
With more than 20 years business experience, including 12 years of consulting, Frederic acquired a broad expertise in Project & Portfolio Management (PPM) by implementing PPM best practices, methods & tools for major international private & public institutions. He is now part of the T...
Cedric Dumont is a wingsuit flyer, base jumper and high-performance psychologist. He has been fascinated by flight all his life. He is an International Red Bull Athlete, and his partnership with the company enables him to develop challenging and exciting projects all over the world. Cedric has c...
Experienced Risk Manager with a demonstrated history of working in complex environments. Skilled in Enterprise Risk Management, Operational Risk Management, Internal Control and Business Continuity. Work Approved Enterprise Risk Trainer @ Institute of Risk Management Guest Lecturer in Operatio...
Work Head of Core Delivery team @ SWIFT Manager Service Team @ SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Telecommunication) Customer Support Engineer @ SWIFT Education 1998 2004 Bachelor in International Business Management @ Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
Passionate professor of finance, advocating for a logical and insightful comprehension of even complex topics in financial management, specializing in corporate finance, derivatives and risk management. This materialises also in the ergonomics of the products and in the accompaniment proposed by ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.