Who should attend
This program is for senior-level executives and general managers who are responsible for the formulation and implementation of corporate strategy in a multi-national firm.
Titles include: president, CEO, CFO, vice president, director, partner, and senior manager.
About the course
Strengthen yourself as a leader by adding strategic value to your company. Translate objectives into an execution plan across multiple units, learn how to coordinate and communicate corporate strategy, and evaluate your strategy to combat competition.
In today's turbulent business world, leaders find themselves in a complex competitive environment where corporate strategy is more critical than ever before. Those who are able to think strategically and predict the impact of industry evolution are able to make competitive shifts and maintain profitability.
In this program, executives will learn techniques to understand the competitive structure of an industry and a company's competitive advantage. Participants will analyze various strategic decisions, including positioning, pricing, new venture, technology, and diversification. In addition, the program will look at how organizational structure impacts effective strategy development and implementation.
Participants will apply the program material to define long-term strategic objectives and initiatives and will translate these objectives into an execution road-map.
By attending this program, you will:
- Better understand the economics of value creation and competitive advantage in your industry.
- Appreciate the importance of taking a customer-centric view of your business to drive innovation and growth.
- Assess and refine your company’s strategy and business model.
- Create coherence between corporate level strategy and lines of business strategy.
Industry Analysis and Positioning
- Economic framework for analyzing the structure of your industry
- How the competitive position determines a firm's performance
Competitive Advantage, Sustainability, and Entry
- How capabilities and assets determine competitive advantage
- Effects of competition on competitive advantage and entry decisions
- Resource allocation and coordination between business units
- Optimal scope in terms of diversification and vertical integration
- Effective organization and management of multi-unit companies
Strategic Scenario Analysis and Game Theory
- Integrate game theory and scenario analysis into a decision model
- Interaction among firms in concentrated industries where reactions and counter-reactions are anticipated
- Defining long-term and strategic objectives and initiatives
- Translating strategic objectives into an execution plan
- Relationship between competitive strategy and organizational structure and resources that enable implementation
- Organizational mechanisms required for effective implementation
New Venture Strategy
- Analysis of new business opportunities
- Analyze future competition for products which do not exist
- Unique issues for technology industries
- The impact technology shifts have on strategy across industries
Strategic Thinking and Decision Making
- How to develop and analyze unique, creative strategies
- Utilizing decision models and avoiding decision traps
Toby E. Stuart is the Helzel Chair in Entrepreneurship, Strategy and Innovation; Faculty Director of the Lester Center for Entrepreneurship; Dean, External Affairs; and Chair of the Department of Management and Organizations at the Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley. Previously, he has been: Th...
Chad Syverson's research spans several topics, with a particular focus on the interactions of firm structure, market structure, and productivity. His research has been published in several top journals and has earned multiple National Science Foundation Awards. He also coauthored (with Austan Goo...
Greg Bunch draws on a wealth of experience as an entrepreneur, manager, consultant, alderman, and teacher. He is the founder of Masterplan International Corporation, a strategy consulting firm. He was also a partner at Brandtrust, a brand strategy consultancy. Greg is a co-founder of Oration, a ...
Robert H. Gertner has been on the Chicago Booth faculty since 1986. His research interests include strategic decision-making, corporate finance, organization structure, theory of the firm, and social enterprises. He has published papers in numerous scholarly journals including the Quarterly Journ...
Ram Shivakumar specializes in industrial organization and business strategy. His research has appeared in the California Management Review, Journal of International Economics, the Canadian Journal of Economics, and the Journal of Industrial Economics. His current research projects include: (1) Sp...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.