Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This course is intended for QHSE managers and staff responsible for setting up waste management systems and those who wants to reduce risk and liability for their organization through sound waste, management practices, principles and procedures. This course is also beneficial to all managers and staff involved in waste management and who need an appreciation of the techniques and principles involved in waste management, waste minimization, material re-use recovery and recycling.
About the course
The five-day course is a combination of programs and workshops intended to provide delegates with an introduction to and an understanding of developments in Waste Management practices, the hardware employed and the application of ‘best practice’. The course is set in the context of ‘climate change’ issues, International Law and the challenges for improved management of natural resources.
Workshops will also provide an introduction to the implementation of ISO 14001, a specification for an Environmental Management System and the application of ISO 19011, guidelines for Auditing Quality and Environmental management Systems.
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Address the implications of international environmental protocols
- Review their waste disposal practice in the context of growing environmental awareness
- Obtain performance improvement through the implementation of an environmental management system
- Introduce new developments in waste management practice
- Consider contaminated land and its impact on waste management activity
- Review the application of the waste hierarchy
- Encourage dialogue with like-minded individuals on specific issues of concern in their organizations
Introduction to Waste Management
Explanations of the current global environmental challenges, the scope of international legislation and the development of waste management and waste minimization practice.
- Global environmental issues
- International legislation
- the Concept of ‘Duty of Care’
- Definition of Special & Other Wastes
- Waste Management in industry
- Waste Management tools
Environmental Auditing and Waste Disposal
The role of an environmental management system in managing waste, an introduction to environmental auditing and waste management equipment and to contaminated land identification and remediation techniques
- Introduction to ISO 14001, a specification for an Environmental Management System
- Auditing Environmental Management Systems using ISO 19011
- Responsibilities in managing waste
- Transport of Waste by Road
- Special Waste Regulations
- Packaging Waste Regulations
- Contaminated Land
This will include a description of Waste Collection options, the role of material recovery, re-use and recycling facilities and of environmental reporting
- Landfill Tax - the environmental costs of waste
- Administration requirements of waste collection
- Waste segregation
- Waste collection
- Waste transfer stations and materials recycling facilities
- Internal collection protocols for clinical and special wastes
- Environmental reporting
Operational Controls for Waste Disposal
This will include a review of planning for and construction and operation of Waste Disposal Facilities and the need for Environmental Protection.
- Containment systems for landfill sites
- Leach ate control
- Landfill gas control and utilization
- Site aftercare
- Control of incinerator emissions and residues
- Food waste disposal
- Clinical waste disposal
Environmental Management & Waste Disposal Facilities
This will include the initial development of an environmental management system and its application to waste management operations
- Policy development
- Identification of Environmental Aspects
- Operational Control
- Setting up the environmental audit
- Non-compliances and corrective actions
- Recommendations for improvement
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.