Who should attend
This course is designed for HSE managers, staff responsible for managing hazardous waste and those who wants to reduce risk and liability for their organization through improved pollution prevention.
About the course
The five-day course is intended to provide delegates with an introduction to and an understanding of the management of hazardous industrial wastes and the prevention and mitigation of pollution from routine and accidental release and other incidents.
## Course Objectives
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Understand the international protocols driving the more effective management of hazardous materials
- Review their waste disposal practice in the context of growing environmental awareness
- Obtain performance improvement through the implementation of an environmental management system
- Introduce new developments in waste management practice
Introduction to Hazardous Waste
Discussion on the current global environmental challenges, the nature of international legislation and issues surrounding hazardous materials and hazardous waste.
- Global environmental issues
- International legislation
- Concept of ‘Duty of Care’
- Definition of Hazardous Waste and its impacts
- The Hazardous Waste Management Industry
Management of Industrial Hazardous Waste
Development of policies and procedures for storing and disposing of hazardous waste and the role of environmental management systems.
- Introduction to ISO 14001, a specification for an Environmental Management System
- Responsibilities in managing hazardous waste
- Hazardous Waste Regulations
- Transportation and Disposal
- Hazardous Waste facilities
Discussions on sources of pollution and techniques and technologies for the prevention and treatment of pollution
- Exploration and Production, Refining & Distribution – origins of pollution
- Construction and operational issues
- Pollution Prevention materials and services
Pollution Management (cont’d)
Consideration for major incidents and the contingency planning associated with them
- Major accident hazards
- Development of emergency plans
Hazardous Waste Management & Pollution Prevention
- Case studies to develop the application of a systems approach to managing hazardous waste and promoting pollution prevention.
## Course Methodology
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.