Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This training is designed to be beneficial for all staff (both the owner's and contractors) who are involved in the planning, coordination and execution of STO'S. The course is especially valuable for maintenance managers, project managers, managers and coordinators, inspection, materials and safety professionals, planning, scheduling and cost control staff, construction superintendents and supervisors, operations superintendents and shift supervisors, project engineers and contract administrators.
About the course
Assertively offers this course as an extension of our acclaimed Maintenance Planning & Scheduling Excellence course to teach the special skills and techniques required for successful planning and management of shutdowns, turnarounds and outages (STO). We will show participants why STO events are special and how to deal with them. Participants will gain an understanding of:
- The unique characteristics, challenges and opportunities associated with STO events
- Planning and scheduling techniques for improving shutdown performance
- Keys for effective shutdown management
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Understand and appreciate the ‘why’ of STO planning requirements and the associated capital and resource implications for an organization.
- Gain a detailed understanding of the various phases of a typical STO cycle namely, pre-planning, detailed planning, execution, completion and review, as well as what is involved in the execution of each phase.
- Project manage, co-ordinate and communicate during STOs
- Apply shutdown planning and management best practices
- Employ effective strategies for tracking costs, duration and quality control during shutdowns
- Understand risk management and mitigation during shutdown execution
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities
Overview – Context and Strategy
- Why shutdown and how often
- High level process flow map for major shutdowns, turnarounds and outages
- Pre- Shutdowns, turnarounds and outages assessment
- Management Process for Shutdowns, turnarounds and outages
Shutdown Planning and Preparation
- Identification of work and work scope planning
- Process controls, (scope, budget, schedule, safety)
- Work flow including critical path elements
- Contractor management , Communications and stake holder management
Shutdown Planning and Preparation (cont’d)
- Labour resourcing, spares and materials readiness
- Site preparation and facilities management
- Risk and safety management
- Execution Plan
- Effective Shutdown Supervision
- Tracking and reporting Shutdown progress
- Shift handover practices
- Managing emergent work
- Dealing with the unexpected
Shutdown Completion and Review
- Final inspection, punch listing, quality assessment and hand over to operations
- Commissioning and start-up
- Post shutdown review
- Continuous improvement opportunities- what worked and what did not work?
## Course Methodology
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.