Who should attend
This course is ideal for textile designers, fashion designers, digital artists or anyone who works or who would like to work in creative roles in the textiles, fashion, or interior furnishings industries. No previous experience is required.
About the course
This course will help you explore the creative possibilities of digital textile design techniques, tools, and processes, from the design brief through to the completed collection, and will introduce you to the basics of colour, drawing, composition and repeats with step-by-step exercises and examples.
Through a series of creative projects, the course will provide you with an invaluable insight into the techniques and practice of digital textile surface design, and covers the latest digital print technologies as well as both hand and traditional techniques. You will use digital technologies to create and develop exciting designs and patterns, and then process them into output files which can be used in different methods of fabric printing and garment manufacturing. Throughout the course you will receive personal feedback on your work from the course tutor.
- Working with a brief
- Design development
- Working with trends
- Colour space studies
- Creating a colourway
- Using photoshop and illustrator packages
- Drawing with brushes and working with layers and filters
- Developing your drawings and forms with texture, composition and scale
- Mark making with an iPad
- Repeats: block/half-drop/allover/seamless
- Placement/engineered print
- Technical information: types of printing/dyes
- Specialist materials/fabrics
- Sustainability: reduction of waste
- Slow fashion/upcycling
- Digital portfolio
- Digital bureaus: file preparation
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Research colour and materials
- Demonstrate an ability to locate and evaluate information from a range of visual sources
- Refine research and design development with an introduction to Photoshop and Illustrator
- Create a successful repeat print design
- Create a colour palette
- Produce a digital folio including visualisations of designs
- Work to a brief and develop a collection of printed textile designs for sustainable digital print output
Why choose a Central Saint Martins Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
In addition to her role as print technician, Laura is a Central Saint Martins Short Course Tutor, teaching Digital Print on Textiles, Laser Cutting for Fashion and Textiles and Textiles Portfolio courses. Laura’s professional practice lies in bespoke shirt design, with a focus on injecting the u...
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.