Who should attend
Digital Marketing Fundamentals is designed for:
- Traditional marketers looking to expand their skillset with digital tools and strategy
- Supervisors leading teams working within the digital space
- Technical professionals who have a basic understanding of the tools but not the strategy driving business decisions
- People looking to transition into positions within digital marketing
About the course
Gain a solid understanding of digital marketing tools, and how they fit into an overall marketing strategy.
Explore digital marketing tools and learn how they fit into your marketing strategy in the St. Thomas Digital Marketing Fundamentals program. In this course, you’ll learn:
- What is digital marketing and why is it important?
- How to develop a digital marketing strategy
- Which tools can and should be included in your strategy
- The role your website plays in marketing
- Methods for getting customers to your website
During the program, you will build your own website and create a Google Adwords campaign to start driving traffic to your site. Instructors use relatable, real-world scenarios to teach concepts, to help you develop practical skills you can use Monday morning at work. Small class sizes create a collaborative learning environment and help you build your network of fellow business leaders.
Sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus, and parking is available within one block. There are no prerequisites for this program.
Benefits of the Program
Learn About Digital Marketing Tools.
You’ll see how websites, email, search and display advertising, social media and mobile can come together to form a cohesive marketing strategy.
Get Hands-on Experience.
Use digital marketing tools, including websites, search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) tools.
Explore Google Adwords.
Create Google Adwords campaigns, social media advertising and email marketing campaigns.
Design a Website.
You’ll design and build a website during this program and practice digital marketing tactics.
Gain a New Network.
Meet a new network of professional peers you can turn to for support and advice long after the program ends.
Module 1: Overview of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing can include a variety of tools and methods to reach your customer no matter if you are marketing to other businesses or directly to consumers. In order to determine which tool or set of tools fit best into your marketing strategy, you must first understand the tools as well as how and why each can be used. You’ll leave this session with a better understanding of:
- Social Media
- Search and Display Advertising
Module 2: Digital Marketing Strategy
Understanding your organization’s unique value proposition and marketing goals will help create your digital strategy. The strategy will help to determine which digital marketing tools you should and should not use in these efforts. After this session, you will learn how to:
- Confirm business goals and priorities
- Determine digital channels
- Brainstorm digital opportunities
- Prioritize digital opportunities
- Develop a digital marketing plan
Module 3: Hands-on - Keyword Research, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Paid Search Planning
An important element of your online presence is helping potential customers find you, whether that is appearing in organic search results or paying for ad space based on keywords. Learn how to help your customers, whether individual consumers or businesses, find you through online search. You will leave this session with hands-on experience in:
- Search engine optimization – and understanding why it is important
- The difference between organic and paid search results – how to do well in both
- Identifying keywords to incorporate into your website content and paid search
- Creating a google adwords campaign to drive traffic with paid ads
Module 4: Optimizing Website Experience
Your customers have found you but do they stick around to learn more or buy something? Consider what is important to your customer as you create and optimize your website. You’ll understand:
- How to design for good user experience
- What to consider for a good mobile experience
- Why conversion rates matter and how to optimize
- The dos and don’ts of landing pages
- Tools to increase conversion rates
Module 5: Hands-on – Social Media Advertising
In addition to using search engine marketing tactics, you can use social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to market to the users of those sites. In this session, you will:
- Create an ad account on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Discuss best practices for social media advertising
- Explore measurement and optimization
Module 6: Hands-on - Email Marketing
By optimizing search, you create ways for customers to find you. Email is a way to continue the conversation. In this session, you will:
- Build your own email campaign from start to finish
- Use a free email marketing tool, which you can continue to use in your organization
- Discuss email marketing best practices
- Learn to analyze results and make adjustments to better engage customers
Module 7: Hands-on - Build a Website
Your website is the hub of all of your digital marketing efforts and an important way to convey your brand, products and services. Most of the digital marketing tools discussed in this program will drive customers to your website at various stages of the customer lifecycle. In this final module, you will build your own website, and learn:
- Best practices in website development
- How to use a content management system (CMS) to manage a website
- The business purpose(s) of your website
- Project management methods for building websites, including agile and waterfall
- Where your website will intersect with other digital marketing tools
- How to target different types of customers and stakeholders
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.