Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
If influencing is an important part of your role and you have regular contact with a wide range of colleagues across different areas of the organization, this programme is for you.
Some of the typical participants that usually attend this influencing training course are:
- Managers of teams, departments or functions in international organizations or companies.
About the course
Get the influencing skills & competencies to get other people in the company support your goals and objectives. Work through internal politics and get the resources you need to succeed. Get all stakeholders on board including peers, your team and senior management. Today’s business environment is not easy. Priorities change frequently and you need to get results faster. But in companies and organizations, you don’t always have direct control over all the people and elements you need to deliver results efficiently and on time.
We all know how stressful and frustrating it can be, trying to get everybody deliver their parts of the project or just getting what you need from colleagues in the everyday work. If you could just get everybody on board and supporting your ideas, it would make life so much easier. It would also save the company time and money.
But how do you do this? How do you get others to support your goals and objectives? How do you work your way through internal politics to get the collaboration and resources you need? How do you get all stakeholders on board including your peers, your team, senior management and maybe even customers and suppliers?
Register to this intensive 4-day influencing skills training programme focused on practical learning, designed and facilitated by business people that understand your challenges and will guide you to find effective solutions.
This personal influence training course combines proven-by-practice methods with new insights and ideas that will grow your personal influencing and persuation skills. You will gain a wider perspective of personal leadership through breakout sessions, exercises, and case applications.
How will you benefit?
After participating in this programme, you will grow your personal influencing skills & competencies and be able to:
- Influence the people you need to get your project done and to meet your goals and objectives
- Manage internal politics and difficult people and overcome resistance
- Project a stronger, more confident and professional image so that others will listen to you
- Build, manage and leverage a personal network of colleagues
- Apply a wider range of high impact influencing strategies to get what you need, regardless of your position or level of authority
- Network and learn with a diverse group of peers from different functions, industries and countries in a very stimulating and easy-to-follow approach
- Develop a personal action plan that you will take back with you to implement within your organization
- Learn and practice new skills using compelling case studies, real life examples and practical exercises over 4 interactive and intensive days
During the programme you will:
- Network and learn from a diverse group of peers from different functions, industries and countries
- Develop a personal action plan to implement back at work
- Learn and practice using real-world examples over 4 interactive days
What will you learn and practice?
Developing Personal Influence and Impact is a 4-days hands-on training programme, highly interactive with exercises and role plays. The programme will be led by an experienced facilitator who has risen up through various organizational positions in multinational organizations to hold a senior position, and has extensive experience using ethical influence to achieve positive outcomes. You’ll bring your own influence challenges to the programme, and your facilitator will adapt the programme to address the challenges of your group of participants.
You’ll get plenty of chance to practise your influence skills through a variety of case studies, exercises and role plays, with feedback from your facilitator and your fellow participants.
Module 1: You, Influence and the Managerial Context
We will look at the role of influence in strategy implementation – getting things done through people over whom you have no authority – your peers whose collaboration your team needs to meet its own goals and even your superiors whose sponsorship and resource allocation you’ll need to achieve your departmental strategy. We’ll also introduce the basics of influence and you’ll learn about your own influencing style and capabilities. Through case studies, self-assessment, role play, peer discussion, and reflection you will:
- First, gain awareness of your own influencing style and skill level
- Build a deeper appreciation and understanding of the role of influence in management
- Get a conceptual introduction to the essentials of influence – power, politics, persuasion, and strategy implementation/goal achievement
- Identify your own influencing challenge with respect to implementing your strategy
Module 2: Navigate your organization’s politics
Like it or not, organizational politics are an integral part of daily working life. They can help or hinder you in strategy implementation. You’ll learn to map the power dynamics in your organization and how to ethically use them to support your strategy implementation. You’ll also learn ways to identify and counter people who are acting overtly or covertly to obstruct your strategy implementation. Through case studies, self-assessment, introduction to concepts, peer discussion and self-reflection, you will:
- Develop situational awareness and learn to read the dynamics behind organizational politics – what are people trying to achieve?
- Examine manipulation and influence from an ethical point of view – when is it good and when does it cross over the line?
- Learn typical influence tactics, and how to defend yourself against them
- Learn to construct an influence map as a basis for analysis and development of an influence approach
- Develop your own influence/political map of own strategy implementation challenge and the stakeholders involved, including your own political, power and influence position
Module 3: Build networks and coalitions
You can’t do it alone; you need people to help you implement your strategy. You’ll need the collaboration of your peers; this means understanding their goals and constraints in relation to yours and in relation to organizational goals, and identifying opportunities for both of you to benefit. It means mapping to their interests, gaining their respect and trust for collaboration. This is a lot easier if you have already built trust and reciprocity ahead of time by creating an informal influence network. Through practical exercises, peer discussion, and self-reflection, you will:
- Understand the principles behind networking, the power of an informal network, and how to leverage it for your strategy implementation.
- We’ll look at internal and external networks.
- The importance of credibility through empathy, honesty, and trust – hard to build, easy to destroy
- Use the influence map to determine not only what you need, but what your potential coalition partners need in order to be successful – can you help them?
- More work on your own influence challenge
Module 4: Persuade, and win over the resistors
How can you communicate with impact, and persuade, or even inspire people to join you? This takes some work on your personal style. How do you deal with difficult people, how can you win over the stubborn resistors? We will work on practical persuasion and communication through exercises and coaching. During the afternoon, there will be time for taking stock of your learning points and getting back to your personal influence challenge. Through individual exercises, reflection and coaching, you will work on:
- Creating presence and communicating powerfully
- Demonstrating credibility and authenticity through facts, emotions/values and visuals
- Persuasion techniques
- Being assertive
- Identifying resistance, the different types of resistors, and how to handle them
- Mini-course in conflict handling
- Putting it all together and key learning points from the programme
- Work on your individual influencing challenges with the support of your programme coaches.
- Develop an “influencing” action plan that will help you with executing your department’s strategy
Today Tony consults in the areas of strategy, business development and restructuring. He serves as Director of the Conference Board’s European council of Financial Executives and Controllers. He is a Board member of a Japanese company and also served on the Board of two leading companies in Thail...
Samir Bata’s expertise in Management and Leadership has been built over a 25-year career in key positions in Sales, Marketing, General Operations Management, and Business Development. He is a results-oriented manager who is accustomed to working with multinationals from diversified cultural backg...
Rajeev Aggarwal has 24 years of international corporate experience in various Leadership and Sales roles, which he combines with 11 years of successful experience in Management Development and Coaching . While working on senior management positions for MNCs like PepsiCo, Frito-Lay International, ...
With in-depth experience in the legal, business and international environments, Nadia brings to MCE her competencies and passion for human development and capability building. Her talents lie in executive and leadership coaching, intensive development programs for high potential talent, generatin...
Amedeo Decoro is an international executive with background as a Human Resources Strategic Business Partner in the Automotive, Watch, Machinery, Telecommunication and Healthcare Industries. He brings to MCE his in-depth expertise in HR Strategy Design and Implementation, Organisational and Leader...
Hywel (pronounced ‘Howel’) Thomas brings a proven track record of more than twenty years’ successful experience in coaching organisations, teams and individuals to develop greater performance. His particular areas of expertise include Leadership and Coaching, Influence and Communicating With Impa...
Jens Holmboe Bang works as a senior consultant, facilitator, trainer, coach and professor in Leadership, Management and professional development. Jens was born in Copenhagen, Denmark and has for the last 25 years lived in Spain, France and Belgium with prolonged stays in the United States. His in...
Pavel Mischenko is a top-notch business consultant and coach who has successfully trained over 4,000 mid and C-level professionals in the US, Europe, Middle East, Central and South America and Africa. With an academic background in psychology, psychotherapy & engineering, Pavel’s work combine...
Marianna is an Organisational Psychology Consultant and a Doctoral researcher in Gender and Leadership at the University of London. She brings to MCE’s leadership and people management practice her deep expertise in Interpersonal and Leadership skills. Marianna applies her in-depth psychoanalytic...
Diana is a professional business trainer She brings to MCE a solid expertise in Leadership and People management, Public Speaking, Presentation skills, Communication and Influence Skills, Personal and Team effectiveness. She is a qualified project manager as well as certified from the Edward de B...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.