Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
New managers, leaders of suboptimal teams, and all whose responsibilities include managing the work of others and/or enriching or reviewing management practices.
About the course
This course provides participants with tools and techniques for transforming a group of people into a cohesive, well-functioning, high performing team.
We review the attributes and characteristics that differentiate high performing teams from all others. Participants will learn how to set meaningful business objectives and optimise achievement of these KPIs by allocating work in a manner that maximises team roles and responsibilities. The course reviews the requirements for excellence in team leadership as well as those for excellence as a team member.
This course equipping participants with practical experience in empowering team members and giving and receiving constructive feedback. We also practice effective delegation, problem solving, and managing conflict. This course also considers how to optimise team meetings and group decision making. We close by reviewing key challenges currently facing teams and options for meeting those challenges.
## Course Objectives
- Identify what differentiates high performing teams from all others
- Distinguish between managers and leaders and improve your leadership skills
- Discover, and use, the 6 steps of effective delegation
- Understand how to set and communicate meaningful goals that will empower team members
- Apply different options for motivating the team and ensuring commitment to a common, well-defined purpose
- Coach team members and support them in acquiring new skills
- Give and receive constructive yet effective feedback
- Explore conflict management tools and styles
- Consider the benefits and challenges of managing a diverse team and workforce
Building high performance teams
- What differentiates a group of people from a team?
- What are the characteristics and attribute of high performance teams?
- Learn how to maximize the organizational advantages and benefits of effective teams
- Analyze your team strengths and areas for development
Develop business objectives for the team
- Design and develop worthwhile business objectives
- Review team goals using the SMART principles
- Allocate work in order to optimize team roles and responsibilities and achieve team KPIs
- Brainstorm the skills, knowledge and attributes of strong team leaders
- Articulate the difference between a manager and a leader
- Consider the 5 different leadership styles and under what circumstances each would best be used
Facilitate team leader performance
- Practice giving and receiving feedback constructively in order to achieve engagement
- Uncover different processes you can use to provide feedback to the team and help the team self-assess
- Identify the factors that need to be in place in order to set a team up for success
- Learn why team member empowerment is critical and how it can be achieved
Manage conflict effectively
- Learn about 5 conflict management styles and identify your preferred style and how to manage other styles
- Practice techniques to avoid escalation of conflict
- Develop strategies to manage your own internal conflict
Support Cooperative Work Practices
- Review the 5 stages of team development and discuss what leadership behaviors are required to support members’ contribution throughout each
- Consider the fundamental requirements for a productive team meeting
- Articulate the advantages and disadvantages of group decision-making
- Using an example, work through the 7 steps in problem solving
Motivating the team
- Practice applying different motivators to team members
- Review research on the extent to which money motivates
- Discuss the sustainability of using fear tactics to motivate
Key Challenges for teams today
- How to manage diversity in approaches, learning styles and communication
- How to control and manager your stress and that of the team
- How to counsel for unsatisfactory performance
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.