Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This program is designed for professionals who have recently taken on or aspire to move into a management role to help them develop leadership and decision-making capabilities. This includes existing managers and technical leaders who have been promoted to a role with management responsibility, executives who build and lead multi-functional teams, and entrepreneurs who need to expand their core business knowledge. Middle- and upper-level managers seeking a well-rounded, MBA-inspired management curriculum will also benefit from exposure to the latest marketing, finance, and leadership strategies taught by Columbia Business School faculty.
About the course
Columbia Management Essentials (Online) is a three-month online program that teaches the core pillars of management — leading teams, creating a customer-centric organization, and developing financial acumen.
The program enables participants to accelerate their impact through an intensive learning journey that will equip them to manage people, products, and projects more effectively. The key components of this MBA-inspired curriculum are:
- Enhancing leadership effectiveness
- Effective decision making
- Influencing others
- Customer-centric marketing
- Developing financial intuition
- Launching new products
- Leading and managing teams
- Building social capital
With a focus on immediate application, participants work on a capstone case study, individual and team assignments, cases, self assessments — including Columbia Business School’s proprietary 360 Assessment Tool — and group discussions, applying their learnings immediately to their unique contexts.
Participants will also be part of a powerful learning community comprising a diverse group of fellow participants from a broad range of industries, functions, experiences, and geographies.
You will emerge from Columbia Management Essentials (Online) with enhanced cross-functional skills and a sharpened leadership toolkit that will help you accelerate the impact on your organization.
At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses as a leader with the 360 Assessment Tool
- Hear more about the tool from Columbia Business School Professor Joel Brockner
- Understand how different leadership styles affect performance
- Make decisions in a more systematic way to optimize results
- Influence others in a fair and ethical manner
- Develop a customer-centric mindset and find the right product for the right market
- Understand key financial concepts such as time value of money, net present value, and capital budgets for a stronger financial intuition
- Build a healthy social network to support your professional goals
This immersive program takes an integrated approach to learning, combining live and recorded lectures, small group assignments, case studies, role plays, and Columbia Business School's 360 Assessment Tool.
The program is comprised of the following modules:
Module 1: Orientation and Welcome
- Launch of 360 Degree Assessment Tool
- Live Webinar “Program Outline & Learning Journey” with Professor Gita Johar
- Optional: Accounting Basics, Financial Statements, and Key Ratios
Module 2: Leadership and Decision Making
- The Heart of Leadership
- Making Wise Decisions
Module 3: Influencing Others
- Influencing Ethically and Fairly
- Live Webinar “Leadership” with Professor Adam Galinsky
Modules 4 : Being Customer-Centric
- What Is a Customer Worth
- What Customers Value
- Delivering Value: Segmenting, Targeting, Positioning
- Live Webinar “Customer Analytics” with Professor Oded Netzer
Module 5: Developing Financial Intuition
- Fundamental Concepts in Finance
- Capital Budgeting
Module 6: Launching New Products
- New Product Development Process
- Process Ideation Templates
Module 7: Leading & Managing Teams
- Teams: Factors for Success and Failure
- Six Strategies for High-Performance Teams
- 360 Degree Assessment Tool Debrief
Module 8: Building Social Networks
- Analyzing Your Social Network
- Building Your Social Network to Support Your Professional Success
Module 9 : Capstone Case and Conclusion
- Capstone Case
- Live webinar “Case Debrief and Program Summary” with Professor Gita Johar
Biography Professor Netzer's research centers on one of the major business challenges of the data-rich environment of the 21st century: developing quantitative methods that leverage data to gain a deeper understanding of customer behavior and guide firms' decisions. He focuses primarily on buildi...
Biography Gita V. Johar (PhD NYU 1993; MBA Indian Institute of Management Calcutta 1985) has been on the faculty of Columbia Business School since 1992 and is currently the Meyer Feldberg Professor of Business. She served as the school’s Senior Vice Dean from 2011 to 2014, as the inaugural Vice D...
Biography Adam Galinsky is currently the chair of the Management Division and the Vikram S. Pandit Professor of Business at the Columbia Business School. Professor Galinsky has published more than 200 scientific articles, chapters, and teaching cases in the fields of management and social psycho...
Prof. Katherine W. Phillips joined the faculty at Columbia Business School as the Paul Calello Professor of Leadership and Ethics in Fall of 2011. Before joining us here she was Associate Professor of Management and Organizations at the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University and Co...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.