Who should attend
Leaders and team members who need to:
- Communicate a vision and gather support for it
- Motivate teams to do accomplish goals
- Manage the risks of diverse stakeholders failing to achieve alignment on key projects
- Become more influential inside and outside their organization
- Efficiently and effectively navigate daily interactions with peers, teams, and other stakeholders
About the course
Discover what motivates your organization's internal and external stakeholders to build trust, promote positive engagement, gain support for new ideas, and ultimately drive long-term success and growth.
Successful leaders understand how critical the power of influence is to the ability to create value for their stakeholders. This new digital program guides leaders through the process of understanding the perspectives of their various stakeholder groups and engaging with them to achieve common goals. Learn to deliver a powerful vision, orchestrate complex change, or gain support for a key innovation by developing your competence in stakeholder engagement, influence, strategic engagement and negotiation.
Stakeholder Mapping - Based on the tenets of the Stakeholder Engagement Theory developed by Darden's Professor R. Edward Freeman, this module will help you discover how to better manage your key relationships. Identify everyone with a stake in your endeavors, develop a well-informed and empathetic understanding of their perspectives, and map out a strategy to achieve your goals in a way that engages your stakeholders and their needs appropriately.
Influence - Cultivate consensus by honing your ability to influence the key players around important objectives. Uncover underlying conflicts and be aware of the different layers of communication required to resolve them. Explore the six principles of influence, the art of giving and receiving difficult feedback, and the balance between advocacy and inquiry in communication.
Strategic Engagement - Set the stage for effective communication by determining how to frame an issue for your intended audience. Practice the craft of “telling a story” to be a more persuasive advocate. Adopt strategies for handling pushback more effectively and for making sure your plan of engagement is prepared for any eventuality.
Negotiation - Master the art of negotiation by studying the five stages of the negotiation process, the spectrum of negotiation styles, and a variety of key terms, concepts, and strategies that will help illuminate your way.
Continued Learning and Growth - Continue to develop your engagement and negotiation skills through role play, after-action review, partnership reflection, and cultural competence.
- Build empathy by identifying what matters to each stakeholder group
- Learn how to better engage with your key stakeholders
- Align purpose and address conflicts within groups
- Appeal to and leverage different stakeholder perspectives to develop more effective solutions
- Develop a negotiation style and approach that opens communication and builds trust between parties, making it possible to create mutual value in the final agreement
Collaboration and Influence is an on-demand, online program conducted over the course of 5 weeks. There are five modules, which each contain:
- Videos covering important concepts
- Learning Surveys to benchmark your pre-program knowledge and track your progress throughout the program
- Assignments that give you a chance to learn by doing
- Toolkits that provide you with strategies for taking these skills back to the real world
Education: B.A., University of Virginia; MBA, Ph.D., University of Virginia Assistant Professor Bidhan ("Bobby") Parmar teaches First Year Ethics and a Second Year elective on collaboration at the Darden School of Business. He was recently named one of the top 40 Business School professors under...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Information Technology
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.