Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Policy makers, University managers and researchers, business and industry bodies leaders
About the course
Innovation is at the heart of economic development. Innovation is expensive and many businesses - especially small businesses - cannot afford R&D units. Government mainly seek to drive innovation through funding research in universities and hope that research outcomes are relevant to industry and address development challenges. Companies also have R&D and strategy units to drive innovations. However this is inefficient, Universities may pursue a research agenda that is not relevant to industry. Industry driven research might be too narrow to help drive overall economic transformation. A win-win situation is possible if the government, university and industry collaborate in terms of developing research agenda and pooling resources and thus hastening pace and relevance of innovation. This is the so-called Triple Helix Model.
Through the Building Triple Helix Partnership program you will get the tools to develop a Triple Helix driven innovation strategy and you will learn how to build Triple Helix partnerships.
At the end of this course you:
- Understand the benefits and key pre-requisites of a triple helix platform, the elements of a triple helix arrangement and the role of various parties
- Can explain about approaches to build a Triple Helix Platform
- Know the tools to assesses Triple Helix readiness and strategies for improving readiness
- Have the skills to develop, implement and monitor a Triple Helix Driven innovation strategy
- Know how to identify an option for local economic development and the potential for a Triple Helix Partnership.
Following topics will be discussed in this course:
- Conceptualizing Triple Helix partnerships
- Designing Triple Helix Partnerships
- Implementing Triple Helix Partnerships
- Students Case Studies
This program takes a practice-oriented approach. A combination of teaching methods will be used inlcuding:
- (Guest) lecturers and presentations
- Case studies
- Group discussion, exercises and presentation
- Work visits
- Literature study/readings
Dr. Julius Gatune is a highly experienced policy expert. He researches and advices governments across Africa on issues of economic transformation. His areas of focus include: Innovation with a focus on leveraging Triple Helix Model to drive Local Economic Development (LED), Economic transformatio...
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.