Comprehensive course analysis
About the course
Are you thinking of taking your career to another level and becoming a Non-Executive Director? Do you want to learn how to succeed in the role from an experienced, successful NED with a passion for knowledge sharing?
As forward-looking boards seek improved external context, objective challenge and skills infusion, the role of the Non-executive director has never been more important. Salford Professional Development are now offering this intensive, practical ‘Becoming a Non-Executive Director (NED) - Preparation programme’, that is designed to differentiate NED delegates from their peer group and help launch them into a portfolio career. The highly interactive course combines theoretical, legislative and practical activities to build a comprehensive appreciation of the opportunities and risks associated with the exciting NED role. Drawing extensively on real life case studies, role play exercises and structured discussions, delegates will build a clear understanding of what’s needed to successfully secure a NED position and add value in the role.
The two-day highly interactive programme will cover the following areas:
- Success in the NED role, including key differences from being an executive director.
- The legal framework, formal duties and liabilities of a NED.
- People skills for ensuring effectiveness in the boardroom and beyond.
- Securing the first role and managing a portfolio career from opportunity and risks viewpoints.
On completion of this programme delegates will have:
- An understanding of why the Non-Executive director role is important to a board and the specific ‘value add’.
- Awareness of what success and failure look like in the NED role, and how the role differs from an executive director.
- Appreciation of the legal framework in which the NED must operate, their duties, liabilities and where to go for further information.
- Understanding of the soft skills needed to be successful in the role of NED.
- Built an outline plan to secure a position as NED.
- An awareness of the dynamics of building and managing a portfolio career.
John combines part time Non-executive director positions with supervisory and guest lecturing activities with the University of Leeds Business School. John’s full-time career with IBM - which concluded mid 2017 – was a mixture of leveraging digital technologies into government and public sector ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.