Who should attend
The B2B Marketing Strategy (Online) program is ideal for mid to senior-level marketing or business-unit managers, including:
- Managers from a technical or manufacturing background, now responsible for growth or marketing-driven functions
- Product managers and marketing leads transitioning from a consumer domain into a B2B environment
- Account managers seeking to make better customer-relationship decisions specific to B2B marketing
- Experienced and newly promoted product and business unit managers with technical expertise but limited marketing background
About the course
Because marketing to businesses is fundamentally different than marketing directly to consumers — namely a longer and more complex sales process — it requires a different approach. B2B Marketing Strategy (Online) is a six-week online program that provides the tools to successfully apply marketing strategies, bring value to your B2B relationships, and make a clear connection between marketing and sales functions.
The program provides professionals operating in B2B markets and those wanting to develop a B2B product line with a strategic yet practical framework to sustain a competitive advantage by understanding how to deploy the right marketing, pricing, sales force, and decision-making toolkit for each stage of your go-to-market strategy.
Participants discover the essentials of B2B brands, beginning with an overview of the differences between B2C and B2B brands and exploring the value of having a consistent marketing strategy as well as a solid platform for marketing implementation, especially when coordinating sales.
The program highlights the complex consumer decision-making process of B2B brands and the best way to develop your go-to-market strategies. It also delves into sales force management and how to address the challenges of channel distribution and variable compensation. You also learn about B2B pricing to address the complexity of contracts and brand strategies for competitive advantage.
Throughout the program, you will develop a B2B management toolkit that provides key tools to increase B2B effectiveness.
By the end of the program you will be able to:
- Review the marketing process and identify the functional, process, and relationship benefits of your B2B brand, allowing you to discern the value proposition of any B2B brand
- Discern how the decision funnel is different for organizations and individuals (B2B decision funnel vs. individual decision funnel) and use this knowledge to capitalize on the decision-making process to provide your business with customer loyalty
- Identify and deploy your marketing weapons for each stage of the Go-to-Market process
- Design effective compensation systems to create motivated sales teams
- Identify basic pricing strategies and use these to control prices
- Discover how marketing strategy provides you with a sustainable competitive advantage and use this knowledge to make marketing relevant to your CEO
The B2B Marketing Strategy (Online) program is distributed across six modules and made available on a weekly basis. The program will begin with an orientation week, which provides an overview of the key features and resources you will need for a successful start.
The program features a mix of faculty video lectures, required activities, discussions, and a video interview with a B2B industry expert. Our approach is to provide the tools and frameworks to improve the efficiency of your B2B marketing efforts and increase revenue and profitability.
Weekly program topics are:
- Week 1: B2B Brands
- Week 2: B2B Decision-Making Process
- Week 3: B2B Go-to-Market Strategies
- Week 4: B2B Sales Force Management
- Week 5: B2B Pricing
- Week 6: B2B Marketing Strategy and Competitive Advantage
Biography Miklos Sarvary is the Carson Family Professor of Business and the faculty lead for the Media and Technology Program at Columbia Business School. Miklos' broad research agenda focuses on media and information marketing. His most recent papers are studying agenda setting, user-generated c...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.