Analyzing the Supply Market
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with ICTD International Centre for Training and Development.Full disclaimer.
Supply market analysis involves the gathering of facts, data, observations and trends about the marketplace in which suppliers conduct business. Conducting a structured assessment of past and future developments to determine the potential impact on future sourcing decisions and identifying.
In order to develop effective sourcing and negotiation strategies, it is imperative that teams have a detailed understanding of the supply market. This includes gaining an understanding of dynamics in the industry, evaluating suppliers from a financial and capability perspective and understanding the significant drivers of price for the particular category. Applying the SWOT and Porter’s Five Forces framework allows participants to develop robust category strategies.
Upon completion of this course, delegates will be equipped with:
- The key characteristics of the supply market, augmented by the appropriate analysis tools and an understanding of how to identify relevant features of that market.
- An idea of where to look when it comes to information sources required to best put together analytics around the supply market, and then how to match that information with the relevant tools.
- Key understanding around the various analysis tools, how to avoid any unwanted but common traps, and some helpful tips and tricks to support that understanding.
- The confidence to generate conclusions from the market analysis that has been undertaken, and then use those results to influence the approach to market.
- The skills to assess the “depth” of a given analysis that will be required, dependent upon the complexity of a different category and a variety of other constraints that may be related to the project around timeframes, logistics, and priority, as well as the nature of the supply market itself.
Module 1 – Supply Market Overview
- Identifying key questions
- Obtaining industry data
- Understanding industry cost profiles
- Identifying key players
- Developing market and supplier profiles
Working Session 1
- During this session, each team will apply Module 1 to its selected category
Module 2 – Evaluation of Major Players
- Reading financial statements
- Conducting financial health evaluations (ratio and trend analyses)
- Conducting SWOT analyses
Working Session 2
- During this session, each team will apply Module 2 to its selected category
Module 3 – Evaluation of Industry Trends and Forces
- Analyzing price drivers
- Developing a Market MeterTM to determine future price trends
- Analyzing market forces
- Evaluating country risk
Working Session 3
- During this session, each team will apply Module 3 to its selected category and prepare the report
Working Session 4
- Presentation and critique of report
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Who should attend
Anyone involved in procurement who, in their role, must analyse a given market and reach, or help the organisation reach appropriate, informed, and reasoned conclusions based on their work. This will also be beneficial to those who are using these analytics to determine the approach to market, to enhance their knowledge of the logic informing the earlier stages of the procurement process.