Who should attend
- Junior- to mid-level marketers – such as brand managers or marketing managers, or executives taking on a new marketing role – who are responsible for managing advertising efforts
- Senior executives with responsibilities in marketing/advertising who are looking to increase their team’s success in advertising communications by honing their strategic approach.
- Advertising, communications, and PR consultants/agencies seeking to offer better solutions for their clients and increase client buy-in on their strategic recommendations
About the course
In the world of digital advertising, platform selections, utilization of influencers and creative decisions often dominate the conversation. However, without a solid strategy tied to the business goals behind tactics such as these, even your best marketing efforts won’t succeed.
Whether you are responsible for advertising within your organization, a senior leader looking to improve your team’s performance, or on the agency side wanting to demonstrate the tangible business impact of true strategic marketing communications to your clients, this 8-week online program will help you develop a rigorous, systematic approach to defining goals, effective targeting and method for creating insight-driven messaging.
- Learn to create strategic, persuasive communication across multiple platforms
- Develop the most meaningful strategic advertising objective to drive your business
- Select and prioritize target audiences to maximize effectiveness and efficiency
- Identify, evaluate and select appropriate consumer insights that allow you to build the right message for your target
- Assess the effectiveness of media plans and identify key steps and best practices in ad production
- Discover how to evaluate ads for their strategic merit and develop proper tests
Module 1 – Introduction: The Creative Brief as Strategic Roadmap
- Summarize the creative brief
- Evaluate/critique “brief” work
- Recognize common pitfalls
- Design a clear, creative brief
Module 2 – Setting Objectives
- Discover how to select the most meaningful objectives for your communications
- Align advertising objectives with business goals
- Construct a clear, meaningful, measurable objective
Module 3 – Targeting for Growth
- Understand the importance of targeting in advertising
- Select the appropriate targets to drive growth
- Learn to manage and prioritize multiple targets for growth
Module 4 – Consumer Behavior and Paths to Persuasion
- Identify the characteristics of human behavior that enable you to persuade your target audiences
- Assess potential consumer insights
- Select the strongest insight to accomplish your marketing communication goals
- Evaluate core consumer behavior – and what drives it
- Recognize persuasive techniques
Module 5 – Positioning Decisions
- Develop the ability to write and evaluate positioning statements
- Understand Frame of Reference and how to use it appropriately
- Recognize Points of Difference and their importance to messaging
Module 6 – Executing the Media Plan
- Learn key terms and processes within media planning and develop a keen eye for evaluating media plans
- Grasp the basic mechanics of data-driven digital media
- Understand the overall process of ad production and how to avoid the most common errors
Module 7 – Evaluation and Measurement
- Learn what makes an ad effective – and how to evaluate its effectiveness
- Develop a mindset of experimentation
- Define the process involved in proper testing and the right questions to ask
- Recognize common testing failures and how to avoid them
Dr. Rucker joined the Kellogg marketing department in Fall of 2005. Currently, Dr. Rucker holds the Sandy & Morton Goldman Professorship of Entrepreneurial Studies in Marketing. His primary research focuses broadly on the topics of power, compensatory consumption, persuasion, and consumer beh...
Kevin McTigue is a Clinical Associate Professor of Marketing at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management teaching multiple classes for the MBA Program and Executive Education. His career spans over 20 years in teaching, consulting, brand management, and advertising. Before his full...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.