Advanced Negotiation Skills (LB407)
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with ILR School.Full disclaimer.
This three week online workshop is designed to help bargaining committee members understand the process and strategies for negotiating a contract. Participants will conduct mock bargaining sessions and role plays and will learn from union leaders from across the country. Some familiarity with collective bargaining is not required but will be helpful.
- An understanding of the essential components of contract negotiations
- Resource information essential to bargaining strong contracts
- Practice as a participant in mock exercises
Negotiation Skills (LB114)
This introductory-level workshop is designed to develop the skills of union negotiators who do not have extensive experience in advancing a collective bargaining strategy and in conducting face-to-face negotiations at the bargaining table.
- The bargaining process, timing and procedures
- Bargaining techniques, strategies and tactics
- Maximizing effectiveness of the bargaining committee
- Reading the other side; articulating the members’ needs; using the caucus
- Identifying the employer’s pressure points
- Coordinating table tactics with membership support activities
Approach and Features (in-person)
This live in-person workshop utilizes role plays, group discussions and a mock bargaining. Participants are given a variety of negotiating scenarios and learn various bargaining styles and strategies.
Approach and Features (online)
This asynchronous online workshop utilizes role plays, group discussions and a mock bargaining. Participants can access the website 24 hours a day seven days a week for twenty one days when it is convenient for them. Participants do not have to be online on a specific date or time. Participants must log in on at least 6 different days over the three weeks to allow interaction with others in the workshop.
Benefits to You and Your Organization
Participants benefit from observing numerous bargaining styles and negotiate with participants from various unions and sectors. Participants can build their confidence and skill level in a safe environment and gain feedback on their approach.