Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Senior military and Public Service leaders and industry executives who have or will have responsibility to lead and manage the planning and implementation of medium to large programs. It will be of particular benefit to newcomers to Ottawa and those with less previous experience with the processes and stakeholders involved with major Government funded investments.
About the course
This program was formerly known as “Project Initiation”. While the program has been renamed, the content and focus of the program remains the same. This program is part of the Certificate in Complex Project & Procurement Leadership and may be taken as part of the certificate program or on a stand-alone basis. Please visit the main page for the Certificate in Complex Project & Procurement Leadership for more information.
A successful project depends on proper analysis and planning in the early and key phase of project initiation. This three-day module will provide an overview of the process to develop the initial scope and high-level requirements for a project. Participants will learn strategic options analysis techniques, foundational elements of acquisitions strategies, complex procurement principles and tools for engagement with supplier communities and the principles of agile procurement. Acquisitions strategies will encompass the linkages between performance-based procurement, remuneration strategies, contractual relationships and project implementation risks, including sustainment and in-service support. The module will also identify important stakeholder engagement strategies. Industry participants will gain an understanding and perspective of how to interact effectively with the government from project initiation to contractual approval and project implementation.
What You Will Learn
- Key fundamentals to project success and how that success is shaped, for good or otherwise, by key early decisions.
- An understanding of procurement options analysis factors, opportunity and risk analysis.
- An understanding of initial cost estimation and schedule factors and the risks associated with these early decisions.
- How to position the project for success through careful initial planning and assessment of strategic options.
- How to identify acquisitions strategies, and correlate them with procurement strategies and plans.
- How to engage with industry and develop a winning procurement and contracting approach, inclusive of sustainment and in-service support.
- How and when to engage key stakeholders.
Dan Ross brings has over 40 years of experience as a military leader, senior public service officer and teacher. He holds a BSc in mathematics from the University of Saskatchewan and is a graduate of the National Defence College, the Canadian Forces Command and Staff College and the Land Force C...
A dynamic leader with proven ability to transform vision into action and deliver targeted results, Mariette Fyfe-Fortin is recognized for her leadership of government business transformations and change management initiatives, complex project procurements, and services delivery in sectors ranging...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.