Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
Associate Professor | Finance & Accounting
Dr. Venkatesh Panchapagesan is an Associate Professor of Finance and also heads the Real Estate Research Initiative at IIM Bangalore. He has more than 20 years of experience in academia and in global financial services industry after finishing his Ph.D. in Finance from the University of Southern California. Prior to joining IIMB in September 2011, he was with the world’s largest hedge fund, Bridgewater Associates, where he led efforts to revamp trading analytical infrastructure. He has also worked with Goldman Sachs Asset Management in New York between 2005 and 2008 overseeing trading research for their quantitative hedge funds. He was a Finance Professor at the Olin School of Business at Washington University in St. Louis from 1998 to 2005 and has published in top peer-reviewed academic and practitioner journals of the world. He was also invited to be the NASDAQ stock market’s economist for a year. He is certified in India as a Chartered Accountant and a Cost Accountant, and holds a post graduate management degree from IIM (Calcutta) as well.
- “Why do only some Nasdaq firms switch to the NYSE? Evidence from Corporate Transactions” with Simi Kedia, Journal of Financial Markets, 14, 109-126, 2011.
- “Geography and Acquirer Returns,” with Simi Kedia and Vahap Uysal, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 17, 256-275, 2007.
- “Has Decimalization Hurt Institutional Investors?” with Sugato Chakravarty and Robert Wood, Journal of Financial Markets, 4, 400-420, 2005.
- “The Information-Content of the Limit Order Book: Evidence From Specialist Trading Decisions,” with Lawrence Harris, Journal of Financial Markets 8, 25-67, 2005.
- “Competition Among Markets: The Repeal of Rule 390,” with Tai Kam and Daniel Weaver, Journal of Banking and Finance, 27, 1711-36, 2003.
- “Price Discovery in Auction Markets: A Look Inside the Black Box,” with Ananth Madhavan, Review of Financial Studies, 13, 627-658, 2000.
Work in progress
- “Estimating Economic Value of Regularizing Land Tenure to the Urban Poor – Evidence from India,” with Madalasa Venkataraman, 2016.
- “Effectiveness of E-Auctions in Emerging Economies,” with Madalasa Venkataraman, 2015.
- “Distortions in Land Markets and their Implications to Credit Generation in India,” with K.P. Krishnan and Madalasa Venkataraman, IIMB Working Paper, 2016.
- “Using Meta-regression Framework to Overcome Incompleteness in Housing Price Data in India,” with Arnab Dutta and Madalasa Venkataraman, 2016.
- “A Study of Competing Policies to Reduce Tax Evasion in the Indian Residential Property Market,” with Ravishankar Doddaswamy and Madalasa Venkataraman, 2016.
- “Do Indian Business Group Owned Mutual Funds Maximize Value for their Investors?” with Prasad Hegde and Jayant Kale, IIMB Working Paper, 2016.
- “Do Regulatory Hurdles on Algorithmic Trading Work?” with Nidhi Aggarwal and Susan Thomas, IIMB Working Paper, 2015.
- “The Changing Nature of Chapter 11,” with Sreedhar Bharath and Ingrid Werner, IIMB Working Paper, 2015.
- Case Studies and Book Chapters
- IGC Research Grant for “Estimating Economic Value of Regularizing Land Tenure to the Urban Poor – Evidence from India,” 2016
- IGC Research Grant for “Can Governments Increase Revenues by Lowering Taxes? A Study of Competing Policies to Reduce Tax Evasion during House Purchase in India,” 2014
- IGC Research Grant for “Effectiveness of E-Auctions in Emerging Economies,” 2014
- NSE-NYU Stern Initiative for the Study of Indian Capital Markets Grant for “Do Regulatory Hurdles on Algorithmic Trading Work,” 2013 (previously called “Impact of Regulatory Tax on Algorithmic Trading”)
- NSE-NYU Stern Initiative for the Study of Indian Capital Markets Grant for “Do Indian business group owned mutual funds maximize value for their fund investors?” 2012
- Ph. D. in Finance, University of Southern California
- Post graduate Diploma in Management (equivalent to MBA), Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
- Chartered Accountant
- Cost and Works Accountant
- Bachelor of Commerce, R.K.M. Vivekananda College, Madras University