Robert L. Barbieri is Kate Macy Ladd Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology and Chair of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School. He specializes in infertility, reproductive surgery, and OB/GYN. His clinical interests include endometriosis, hirsutism, menopause, and menstrual abnormalities. He has written for NEJM Journal Watch Women’s Health as a guest author and joined the board as an Associate Editor in 2015.
Our projects focus on the role of sex steroids, including estrogen, progesterone and androgens in disease of the reproductive tract. A major focus of the laboratory is the role of estrogen in the development of breast cancer, endometriosis and uterine leiomyomata.
- Farland LV, Mu F, Eliassen AH, Hankinson SE, Tworoger SS, Barbieri RL, Dowsett M, Pollak MN, Missmer SA. Menstrual cycle characteristics and steroid hormone, prolactin, and growth factor levels in premenopausal women. Cancer Causes Control 2017; 28:1441-1452
- Fortner RT, Eliassen AH, Spiegelman D, Willett WC, Barbieri RL, Hankinson SE. Premenopausal endogenous steroid hormones and breast cancer risk: results from the Nurses' Health Study II. Breast Cancer Res 2014; 15:R19.
- Danforth KN, Eliassen AH, Tworoger SS, Missmer SA, Barbieri RL, Rosner BA, Colditz GA, Hankinson SE. The association of plasma androgen levels with breast, ovarian and endometrial cancer risk factors among postmenopausal women. Int J Cancer 2009; 126:199-207.
- Galli L, Fontana A, Galli C, Landi L, Fontana E, Antonuzzo A, Andreuccetti M, Aitini E, Barbieri R, Di Marsico R, Falcone A. Phase II study of sequential chemotherapy with docetaxel-estramustine followed by mitoxantrone-prednisone in patients with advanced hormone-refractory prostate cancer. Br J Cancer 2007; 97:1613-7.
- Barbieri RL. Clomiphene versus metformin for ovulation induction in polycystic ovary syndrome: the winner is .... J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92:3399-401.
- Tworoger SS, Missmer SA, Eliassen AH, Barbieri RL, Dowsett M, Hankinson SE. Physical activity and inactivity in relation to sex hormone, prolactin, and insulin-like growth factor concentrations in premenopausal women - exercise and premenopausal hormones. Cancer Causes Control 2007; 18:743-52.
- Fung TT, Hu FB, Barbieri RL, Willett WC, Hankinson SE. Dietary patterns, the Alternate Healthy Eating Index and plasma sex hormone concentrations in postmenopausal women. Int J Cancer 2007; 121:803-9.
- Derenzini M, Montanaro L, Vici M, Barbieri S, Ceccarelli C, Santini D, Taffurelli M, Martinelli GN, Trer. Relationship between the RB1 mRNA level and the expression of phosphorylated RB protein in human breast cancers: their relevance in cell proliferation activity and patient clinical outcome. Histol Histopathol 2007; 22:505-13. PubMed
- Barbieri F, Bajetto A, Porcile C, Pattarozzi A, Schettini G, Florio T. Role of stromal cell-derived factor 1 (SDF1/CXCL12) in regulating anterior pituitary function. J Mol Endocrinol 2007; 38:383-9.
- Rossi G, Marchioni A, Romagnani E, Bertolini F, Longo L, Cavazza A, Barbieri F. Primary lung cancer presenting with gastrointestinal tract involvement: clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical features in a series of 18 consecutive cases. J Thorac Oncol 2007; 2:115-20.
- Eliassen AH, Missmer SA, Tworoger SS, Spiegelman D, Barbieri RL, Dowsett M, Hankinson SE. Endogenous steroid hormone concentrations and risk of breast cancer among premenopausal women. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2006; 98:1406-15.
- Missmer SA, Spiegelman D, Bertone-Johnson ER, Barbieri RL, Pollak MN, Hankinson SE. Reproducibility of plasma steroid hormones, prolactin, and insulin-like growth factor levels among premenopausal women over a 2- to 3-year period. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006; 15:972-8.
- Tworoger SS, Missmer SA, Eliassen AH, Spiegelman D, Folkerd E, Dowsett M, Barbieri RL, Hankinson SE. The association of plasma DHEA and DHEA sulfate with breast cancer risk in predominantly premenopausal women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006; 15:967-71.
- Missmer SA, Spiegelman D, Hankinson SE, Malspeis S, Barbieri RL, Hunter DJ. Natural hair color and the incidence of endometriosis. Fertil Steril 2006; 85:866-70.
- Viswanathan AN, Feskanich D, De Vivo I, Hunter DJ, Barbieri RL, Rosner B, Colditz GA, Hankinson SE. Smoking and the risk of endometrial cancer: results from the Nurses' Health Study. Int J Cancer 2005; 114:996-1001.