Prof. Pragyan Rath is an Associate Professor in Business Ethics and Communication group of the Indian Institute
of Management Calcutta (IIMC). She did her Masters-in-Philosophy (M.Phil.) on the relation between poetry and
paintings in the Critical Humanities department of the Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, Hyderabad,
which is now an autonomous university . She has done her doctoral thesis on visual and verbal representations
from the Humanities & Social Sciences department at the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB). She has
researched extensively on visual culture with related publications in national and international journals and related
paper presentations in the same.
She has also authored The “I” and the “Eye”: The Verbal and the Visual in Post-Renaissance Western Aesthetics
(Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011). She teaches Managerial Communications and Critical Diagnosis Skills to postgraduate, executive, and research students. She has recently published her work titled Communication Strategies
for Corporate Leaders with Routledge, Taylor & Francis, 2018 jointly in collaboration with Apoorva Bharadwaj.
She is currently developing a new model for corporate communications, which she tentatively calls the “ekphrastic
technology” (ekphrasis is the verbal representations of graphic designs).
- PhD (English) - Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) Department, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB) Mumbai;
- M Phil (English) - Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages (CIEFL) Hyderabad;
- Master of Arts (English) - CIEFL Hyderabad;
- Bachelors of Arts (English Honours, with Psychology) - Sambalpur University, Rourkela;
- ISCE (+2, Science with Biology Option) - St. Pauls, Rourkela
- ICSE - (Xth board) - Carmel Convent, Rourkela
- ICSE (till class VII) - Loreto Convent, Asansol
- Junior Fellowship, Center for Contemporary Theory, Baroda, March-April 2008
- Distinction for MPhil Thesis - Aesthetic Problems in Literary Ekphrasis
- Distinction for Hindustani Classical Music - Theory and Vocal (Part I and II) - Pracheen Kala Kendra
- Rath, Pragyan. “Empowerment through Communication in Shakespeare's Lucrece: Transitioning from Economic to Artistic Transactions.” Journal of Human Values 24.3 (2018): 1 – 9.
- Rath, Pragyan. “(Ur)-Branding of the Shield of Achilles: Rhetoric as Mediated Context.” Journal of Contemporary Thought 43 (2016): 31-40 [special issue: “Global South Cultural Dialogue Project”, published in collaboration with International Lincoln Center, Louisiana State University, Shreveport, USA];
- Bhatta, C. Panduranga and Pragyan Rath. “Management Centre for Human Values in Indian Institute of Management Calcutta: Human Value Education in Management Institutes,” AIMS International 11.2 (2017): 77-101;
- Rath Pragyan. “Transitioning from Sin to Virtue: Strategic Advertisement Communication Language.” The Indian Management Researcher Journal.4.1 (2017);
- Rath, Pragyan, and Apoorva. Bharadwaj. “Deconstructing symbolic ideology in contemporary communication strategy: The case of Nirma and Wheel.” IIMB Management Review (2014);
- Rath, Pragyan. “'Social Issue Is Business Issue': The New Agenda of Lattice 2010.” Journal of Human Values 17:2 (2011): 171 – 183;
- Rath, Pragyan and Milind Malshe. “The ‘eye’ and the ‘I’: Romantic, Modernist and Postmodernist Perspectives.” Critical Enquiry 1.4 (2009): 89 – 106;
- Rath, Pragyan and Milind Malshe. “From Artists to Labourers: The Myth of Icarus in Ovid, Bruegel and Auden.” Journal of Contemporary Thought 28 (2008): 77 – 93.