Chair Professor, Fung Term Professor of Accounting at HKUST Business School
- HKUST Business School
HKUST Business School
- Ph. D.,1998 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Accounting
- B.S.M., 1993 National Chiao Tung University, Management Science
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- 2012 - Present
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Fung Term Professor of Account (2017-present)
Chair Professor (2016-present), Professor (2012-2016)
University of Southern California, Arthur Anderson & Co. Alumni Associate Professor (2009-2012, on leave in 200602007 and 2012-2014), Associate Professor (2006-2009), Assistant Professor (1999-2006)
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Associate Professor
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Lecturer
- “Political connections and voluntary disclosure: Evidence from around the world." Journal of International Business Studies forthcoming (with Yongtae Kim and Siqi Li)
- "The effect of mandatory CSR disclosure on firm profitability and social externalities: Evidence from China" Journal of Accounting & Economics forthcoming (with Yi-Chun Chen and Yongxiang Wang)
- "Board reforms and firm value: Worldwide evidence” (2017) Journal of Financial Economics 125, 120–142 (with Larry Fauver, Xi Li, and Alvaro Taboada)
- "Post-earnings-announcement drift in global markets: Evidence from an information shock." (2015) The Review of Financial Studies 28, 1242-1283 (with Xi Li and Shiheng Wang)
- "The use of debt covenants worldwide: Institutional determinants and implications on financial reporting." (2016) Contemporary Accounting Research 33, 644-681 (with Hyun Hong and Jieying Zhang.)
- "Does mandatory IFRS adoption affect crash risk?" The Accounting Review 90, 265-299_._ (with Mark DeFond, Siqui Li and Yinghua Li)
- "The value of political ties versus market credibility: Evidence from corporate scandals in China." (2015) Contemporary Accounting Research 32, 1641-1675 (with TJ Wong and Fang Zhang)
- "The impact of mandatory IFRS adoption on IPOs in global capital markets." (2014) The Accounting Review 89, 1365-1397 (with Hyun Hong and Gerald Lobo).
- "Has the widespread adoption of IFRS reduced US firms'' attractiveness to foreign investors?" (2011) Journal of International Accounting Research 11, 27-55 (with Mark DeFond, Xuesong Hu and Siqi Li).
- "Political considerations in the decision of Chinese SOEs to list in Hong Kong." (2012), Journal of Accounting & Economics 53, 435-449 (with T.J Wong and Tianyu Zhang).
- "Corporate governance in the recent financial crisis: Evidence from financial institutions worldwide." (2012) Journal of Corporate Finance 18, 289-411 (with David Erkens and Pedro Matos).
- "Was the Sarbanes-Oxley Act good news for corporate bond holders?" (2011). Accounting Horizons 25, 465-485. (with Mark DeFond, Emre Karaoglu (Emre Carr), and Jieying Zhang).
- "The impact of mandatory IFRS adoption on foreign mutual fund ownership: The role of comparability." (2011) . Journal of Accounting & Economics 51, 240-258 (with Mark DeFond, Xuesong Hu, and Siqi Li).
- “Home bias, foreign mutual fund holdings, and the voluntary adoption of International Accounting Standards." (2007). Journal of Accounting Research 45, 41-70 (with Vicentiu Covrig and Mark DeFond).
- "Investor protection and analysts'' each flow forecasts around the world." (2007). Review of Accounting Studies 12, 377-419 (with Mark DeFond).
- "Investor protection and the information content of annual earnings announcements: International evidence." (2007). Journal of Accounting & Economics 43, 37-67 (with Mark DeFond and Robert Trezevant).
- "Financial statement effects of adopting International Accounting Standards: The case of Germany." (2007). Review of Accounting Studies 12, 623-657 (with K.R. Subramanyam)
- "Investor protection and corporate governance: Evidence from worldwide CEO turnover." (2004). Journal of Accounting Research 42, 269-312 (with Mark DeFond).
- "An empirical analysis of analysts'' cash flow forecasts." (2003). Journal of Accounting & Economics 35, 73-100 (with Mark DeFond).
- "Information and trading risks in global investing: An empirical analysis of research location and Pacific mutual fund performance." (2001). Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting 12, 1-23.
- "Accounting standards and value relevance of earnings: An international analysis" (2000) J_ournal of Accounting & Economics_ 30, 401-420.
GRANTS, AWARDS AND HONORS
- Best Discussant Award, MIT Asia Conference in Accounting, 2015.
- Best Paper Award, European Accounting Association annual meeting, 2008.
- Best Paper Prize, Journal of Accounting & Economics, 2007.
- Finalist, Franklin prize for teaching excellence (MBA required courses), 2017.
- Dean’s Recognition of Excellent Teaching Performance, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2013, 2017.
- Faculty Teaching Award, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2007.
- MBA Golden Apple Teaching Award, University of Southern California, 2006.
- Gamma Sigma Alpha Professor of the Year, University of Southern California, 2003.
- HKUST Institute for Emerging Market Studies Faculty associate. 2013-present.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong Center for Institutions and Governance Research Fellow, 2007-2012.
- Research Grant Council - General Research Fund, Principal Investigator, 2016.
- HKUST IEMS research grant, 2017.
- HKUST research grant, 2015, 2016.
- HKUST initiation grant, 2012.
- Research Grant Council - General Research Fund, Co-Investigation, 2009.
- Research Grant Council - Earmarked Research Grant, Co-Investigator, 2007.
- USC U.S. – China Institute Faculty Research Grant, 2007.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong research grant, Principal Investigator, 2006.
- USC CIBEAR Grants, PRIME Hong Kong/Shenzhen/Dongguan trip faculty observer, 2007; EMBA China trip faculty observer, 2002; PRIME Tokyo trip faculty observer, 2000.
- The Economist, Financial Times, CFO.com, Boardmember.com, American Accounting Association (AAA) press release, Financial Accounting Standards Research Initiative (FASRI)
- The Accounting Review, Editor, 2015-2017
- The Accounting Review, Editorial Board, 2013-2015, 2017-present
- Journal of International Business Studies, Editorial Board, 2012-present
- Journal of International Accounting Research, Editorial Board, 2017-present
SERVICE ACTIVITIES WITHIN HKUST
- Chairperson, University Committee on Faculty Diversity and Early Career Support, 2015-present
- Member, University Senate, 2015-2017.
- Chairperson, School Research Committee, 2017-present.
- Acting department head, Accounting, Spring 2017.
- Chairperson, Departmental Substantiation and Promotion Committee, 2013-2015.
- Chairperson, Departmental Search and Appointment Committee, 2013-2015.
- Chairperson, Departmental Merit Salary Review Committee, 2014-2015.
- Members of various committees at department, school and university levels.
Read about executive education
DellPlain Professor of Latin American Geography Degree Ph.D., London University, 1967 Specialties Latin America, historical geography, Spanish colonialism, development Publications Collaguas I: Visitas de Yanque-Collaguas, 1591 y documentos asociados (second edition corrected a...
Biography Simon Turner currently holds the George Harrison Professor of Botany at the University of Manchester. He has held this position since 2004 having joined the University as a lecturer in 1995. This followed his work as a postdoctoral worker in the lab of Professor Chris Somerville at the ...
The Positive Leader: Deep Change and Organizational Transformation
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Advanced Human Resource Executive Program
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Strategic Human Resource Leadership
Rotman School of Management
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jan 31, 2022
Leading People and Teams
Leading Digital Transformation
Oxford Fintech Programme
Said Business School
Leading Strategic Growth and Change
Columbia Business School
Private Equity: Investing and Creating Value
The Wharton School
The Manchester Leadership Development Programme
Alliance Manchester Business School
Manchester, United Kingdom
Looking for an expert?
Contact us and we'll find the best option for you.