Kevin Lane Keller
E.B. Osborn Professor of Marketing at Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
- Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
- Information Technology
- General Management Programs
- Human Capital Management
- Change management
- Digital Transformation
- Travel and Hospitality
- Industry and Manufacturing
- Business Services and Consulting
- Investment and Financial Services
- Household Goods
- Oil and Gas
- Consumer Goods
- Food Industry
Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
Kevin Lane Keller is an international leader in the study of brands, branding, and strategic brand management, with research focused on improving marketing strategies through an understanding of consumer behavior. He has served as a consultant and advisor to marketers for some of the world’s most successful brands. He teaches the elective Strategic Brand Management.
Current Research Topics
- Marketing Management: Planning, Programs, and Processes
- Strategies and Tactics to Build, Measure, and Manage Brand Equity
- Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of Integrated Marketing Communication Programs
- Tuck School of Business, 1998–present
- Visiting Professor of Business Administration, Duke University, 1997–98
- Professor of Marketing, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1995–97
- Associate Professor of Marketing, 1990–95, Assistant Professor of Marketing, 1987–90, Stanford University
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of California, Berkeley, 1986–87
- Marketing Consultant, Bank of America, 1980–82
- Editorial Boards: Journal of Marketing, Journal of Brand Management, Asian Journal of Marketing, Market Leader, Journal of Sponsorship
- With J. Edell, “Analyzing Media Interactions: The Effects of Coordinated TV-Print Advertising Campaigns,” under review, Journal of Marketing Behavior.
- With J. Parker, M. Schleicher and D. Lehmann, “When To Introduce Close Vs. Far Extensions,” under review, Journal of Marketing.
- With T. Fan and P. Golder, “Brand Preference Evolution During Urban Migration: A Framework of Intra Country Cultural, Economic, and Social Distances,” under review, Journal of International Marketing.
- With R. Batra, “Integrating Marketing Communications: New Findings, New Lessons and New Ideas,” in revision, Journal of Marketing.
- With T. Brexendorf, “Leveraging the Corporate Brand: The Importance of Corporate Brand Innovativeness and Brand Architecture,” under review, European Journal of Marketing.
- With R. Smith, “The Effects of Brand Homogeneity on Product Experiences, ” to be submitted to the Journal of Marketing Research.
- With R. Sinclair, “Brand Value, Accounting Standards, and Mergers and Acquisitions: ‘The Moribund Effect’,” to be submitted the Journal of Brand Management.
- With M. Formisano and L. Zarantonello, “On Growing Brands in Dynamic Markets: Perspectives on Dirichlet Model Applications,” under review, Marketing Theory.
- Dissertation Awards: American Marketing Association (Honorable Mention, August 1986), American Psychological Association Division 23 (First Place, August 1986), Association for Consumer Research (Honorable Mention, October 1986), Marketing Science Institute (First Place, August 1984)
- American Marketing Association Doctoral Consortium: Fellow 1984; Faculty 1988-1991, 1996, 1998, 2002-2005, 2007-2010, 2013-2014
- Finalist, Best Paper in Journal of Consumer Research Award for 1986-1988
- Runner-up, Marketing Science Institute Research Competition on Brand Equity (November 1989)
- James and Doris McNamara Faculty Fellow for 1989-90
- Outstanding Reviewer Award for Journal of Marketing Research for 1991-92
- Fletcher Jones Faculty Scholar for 1992-93
- 1994 Harold H. Maynard award for Journal of Marketing article in 1993 making the most significant contribution to marketing theory and thought
- Paul J. Rizzo Faculty Fellow for 1995-97
- Finalist, 1997 William F. O’Dell Award for Journal of Marketing Research
- 2003 Sheth Foundation/Journal of Marketing Award recognizing articles published in the Journal of Marketing that have made lasting contributions to the discipline of marketing
- 2005 ZIBS Distinguished Theory Award (from Zyman Institute of Brand Science (ZIBS) at Emory University's Goizueta Business School)
- Two articles, "Consumer Evaluations of Brand Extensions" and "Conceptualizing, Measuring, and Managing Customer-Based Brand Equity" named by INFORMS Society for Marketing Science in March 2007 to its list of Top 20 marketing science papers written in the past 25 years that have most affected the practice of marketing science
- 2009 Twenty-Five Year Consortium Fellow Research Excellence Award from American Marketing Association Foundation, 2009
- 2010 Outstanding Author Contribution Award for "Building a Strong Business-to-Business Brand" published in Advances in Business Marketing and Purchasing as part of the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2010
- With P. Kotler (2016), Marketing Management, 15th edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice-Hall.
- With B. Bayus and T. Brexendorf (2016), “Understanding the Interplay Between Brand and Innovation Management: Findings and Future Research,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, forthcoming.
- With T. Erdem, D. Kuksov and R. Pieters (2016), “Understanding Branding in a Digitally Empowered World,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, forthcoming.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2016), “Reflections on Customer-Based Brand Equity: Perspectives, Progress and Priorities,” AMS Review, forthcoming.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2016), “Unlocking the Power of Integrated Marketing Communications: How Integrated is Your IMC Program?,” Journal of Advertising, forthcoming.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2015), Forward to Handbook of Brand Management Scales 2015, Lia Zarantonello and Véronique Pawels, Routledge Publishing.
- With R. Sinclair (2014), “A Case for Brands as Assets: Acquired and Internally Developed,” Journal of Brand Management, 21 (June), pp. 286-302.
- With L. Sichol (2014), Best Practice Cases in Branding, 4th ed., Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice-Hall.
- With C. Dev (2014), “Brand Revitalization,” Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, forthcoming.
- With B. Samuelson and L. Olsen (2014), “The Multiple Roles of Fit Between Brand Alliance Partners in Alliance Attitude Formation,” Marketing Letters, forthcoming.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2014), “Brand Development Processes and Planning,” in Next Practices in Branding, eds. Gregory Metz Thomas and Rajendra K. Srivastava, (New Delhi, India: Sage Publications), forthcoming.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2014), “Brand Revitalization,” in Next Practices in Branding, eds. Gregory Metz Thomas and Rajendra K. Srivastava, (New Delhi, India: Sage Publications), forthcoming.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2014), Forward to “Consumer Brand Relationships” special issue of the Journal of Brand Management, 21 (June/July 2014), p.365.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2014), Forward to Strong Brands, Strong Relationships, eds. Susan Fournier, Michael Breazeale, and Jill Avery.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2014), “Six Scholarly Insights on Branding,” AMA Journal Reader, October 2014.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2014), “Developing and Implementing Brand Architecture Strategies,” Journal of Brand Management, forthcoming.
- With R. Sinclair (2014), “The Case of the Vanishing Assets,” CFO, September 11, 2014.
Read about executive education
Curriculum Vitae SDA Fellow Degree in Business Administration, Bocconi University, Milan, 1984 Academic position and/or Professional activities Full Professor of Banking and Financial Markets at Verona University Research Interests Asset Management Financial Planning Private Banking
Academic Area: Finance Bio Anna Cieslak conducts research in macro-finance and empirical asset pricing with emphasis on fixed income markets. Her recent work studies the dynamics of the Treasury yield curve, including Treasury risk premia, the behavior of real rates and interest rate volatility...
Research Areas Advertising Media Technology Kenneth C. Wilbur, M.A., Ph.D., teaches core marketing at the Rady School. Ken produces original, useful research at the intersection of advertising, media and technology. His work has been published in leading journals, won major awards, influenced ...
Leading Strategic Growth and Change
Columbia Business School
Advanced Human Resource Executive Program
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Private Equity: Investing and Creating Value
The Wharton School
The Manchester Leadership Development Programme
Alliance Manchester Business School
Manchester, United Kingdom
Strategic Human Resource Leadership
Rotman School of Management
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jan 31, 2022
Leading People and Teams
Oxford Fintech Programme
Said Business School
The Positive Leader: Deep Change and Organizational Transformation
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Leading Digital Transformation
Looking for an expert?
Contact us and we'll find the best option for you.