Senior Fellow at the Lester Center Founding Executive Director Emeritus, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship
Jerome Engel is a leader in entrepreneurship education, venture capital, corporate innovation and regional economic development. A veteran of Silicon Valley, Engel joined the University of California at Berkeley in 1991 to found the Lester Center for Entrepreneurship. As an adjunct professor at the Haas School of Business he has instructed in both the School's MBA and Executive Education programs specializing in Entrepreneurship, New Venture Finance, Corporate Innovation, and Venture Capital.
Prof. Engel is co‐founder and General Partner of Monitor Ventures, a venture capital firm investing in early stage technology ventures. He currently serves on the Boards of Directors of several high potential venture capital‐backed and privately held firms. Prior to joining the University he was the Managing Partner of Entrepreneurial Services for EY, in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the firm’s National Director of Capital Resources, a practice specializing in new venture financing.
Engel’s most recent research and publications focus on the nature of innovation processes in firms, communities and global networks, capstoned by the publication of his book Global Clusters of Innovation. Professor Engel is a graduate of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and the 2010 recipient of the NCIIA ‐ Olympus Corporation Lifetime of Educational Innovation Award.
Current Board Positions include Jupiter Systems [collaborative visualization], MedAmerica [physician practice management], and The NCIIA. Previously served on the Boards of a number of emerging companies including Adaptive Insights [Saas based Business Intellegence], Maxis, publisher of the Sims, [IPO and acquired by EA], MicroNet Technology [acquired by Ampex], Transoft, network storage [acquired by HP], and Centric Software [independent]. During his career, Mr. Engel has helped many ventures through their entire cycle of birth, growth and maturation. IPO's of note include AutoDesk and FICO.
- MS, Accounting, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- BS, Pennsylvania State University
- At Haas since 1991
- 2014 – present, Imperial College London. Visiting Faculty Entrepreneurship, Lean LaunchPad
- 2013 – present, National University of Singapore, Visiting Faculty Entrepreneurship, Lean LaunchPad
- 2013 – present, National Faculty Director, National Science Foundation Innovation Corps [I-Corps]
- 2013 – present, Faculty Director, Lean Launchpad Educators Program, VentureWell [previously NCIIA]
- 2013 – present, Adjunct Professor Emeritus, Haas School of Business
- 2012 – present, Faculty Director, U.C. Berkeley Executive Program in Innovation, The Innovation Organization
- 2011 – present, Founding Executive Director Emeritus, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship
- 2001 – present, Faculty Director, U.C. Berkeley Venture Capital Executive Program
- 2009 – 2011, Faculty Director, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship
- 2005 – 2009, Faculty Chair, Intel+Berkeley Technology Entrepreneurship Education Initiative
- 2000 – 2013, Adjunct Professor, Haas School of Business
- 2000 – 2011, Faculty Chair of Entrepreneurship Group, Haas School of Business
- 1991 – 2009, Executive Director, The Lester Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, UC Berkeley
- 1991 – 2000, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
- 1989 – 1990, National Director of Capital Resources, Ernst & Young, USA
- 1980 – 1990, Audit Partner, Ernst & Young, San Francisco, CA
- 1980 – 1989, Partner-in-Charge and Director of Entrepreneurial Services Group in the Bay Area, Ernst & Young, San Francisco, CA
- 1975 – 1977, KPMG National Office of Professional Education, New York, NY
- 1974 – 1975, KPMG Professional in Residence, North Carolina Central University
- 1970 – 1979, Audit and Tax, KPMG/Peat Marwick, Philadelphia, PA
External Service and Assignments
- Member of the Board of Directors, MedAmerica, Inc.
- Member of the Board of Directors, MBSI
- Member of the Board of Directors, VentureWell [NCIIA]
- Technical University of Munich, Academic Lecturer and Member of the TUMentrepreneurship Advisory Board
- Executive Advisory Board, Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers [GCEC]
- General Partner, Monitor Venture Partners
- Riyad TAQNIA Fund, Investment Committee, External Member
- M34 Capital, Investment Advisory, External Member
- Member, Educational Advisory Board, Kauffman Fellows Program
- Certified Public Accountant
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accounts (inactive)
Current Research and Interests
- Innovation and creativity
- Clusters and networks of innovation
- Venture capital firms, structures and incentives
- Corporate venturing and innovation initiatives
- Entrepreneurship and management practices in emerging enterprise
- Technology management and licensing
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Initial public offerings
- Financing high-tech ventures
Selected Papers and Publications
- Clusters of Innovation: Lessons from Silicon Valley._ California Management Review, Winter 2015
- _ Global Clusters of Innovation: Entrepreneurial Engines of Economic Growth Around the World , _ Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham UK and Northampton MA, 2014_
- The Lean LaunchPad Educators Teaching Handbook with Steve Blank, VentureWell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Financing Innovation: Why Emerging Secondary Markets are Good for the Venture Capital Economy , White Paper, June 2012
- John Freeman: Entrepreneurship and Innovation Defined–a personal remembrance with David J. Teece, Industrial and Corporate Change 2012 21: 245-248
- Accelerating Corporate Innovation: Lessons from the Venture Capital Model; What can Corporate Innovators Learn from the Practices of Agile Start-Ups? Research-Technology Management, May-June 2011
- Global Networks of Clusters of Innovation: The Case of Israel and Silicon Valley_, with Itxaso del-Palacio, California Management Review, Winter 2011
- How Can Governments Create Clusters of Innovation? The Case of 22@Barcelona, with Itxaso Del-Palacio, Revista Economica de Catalunya, Fall 2011
- Triple Helix Model to Create Global Networks of Clusters of Innovation (NCOI),_ with Itxaso Del-Palacio and Josep Miquel Pique, Triple Helix VIII, Madrid Spain, October 2010
- Barbarians at the Gate: RMS Teleinformatics’ Acquisition by a Private Equity Fund_ , with Marian Moszoro and Javier Santoma, case study F-852-E published by IESE Business School, University of Navarra, September 2010
- Creating Global Networks of Clusters of Innovation from Science Parks with Josep Miguel Pique and Itxaso del Palacio, Proceedings of the 27th IASP World Conference on Science and Technology Parks, May 2010
- Global Networks of Clusters of Innovation: Accelerating the Internationalization of the Innovation Process, with Itxaso del-Palacio. Business Horizons, Indian University Press, accepted for publication Summer – Fall 2009.
- _Models of Innovation: Corporate v. Start-up Ventures, with John Freeman. California Management Review _(November 2007).
- Technology Entrepreneurship Education: Theory to Practice , with David Charron. Intel Corporation and the Lester Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 2007.
- Start-Up Companies: Planning, Financing and Operating the Successful Business , Law Journal Seminars – Press, co-authored Chapter 20, Accounting and Related Tax Issues.
- Silicon Valley Guide to Raising Capital , John Wiley & Sons, co-contributor to several chapters, principally Chapter 1, Trends in Financing, and Chapter 7, Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances.
- Entrepreneurship, MBA 295A
- Venture Capital and Private Equity, MBA 295B
- New Venture Finance, BA 295D
- The Lean LaunchPad MBA 296T
- Berkeley Executive Program (Executive Education)
- Venture Capital Executive Program (Executive Education)
- Innovation and Corporate Entrepreneurship (Executive Education)
- Global Entrepreneurship Faculty Colloquium (Executive Education)
- Innovation Faculty and Curriculum Development (Executive Education)
Honors and Awards
- National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance – Olympus Corporation
- Lifetime of Educational Innovation Award 2010
- NASDAQ 2006 center of Entrepreneurial Excellence Award to the Lester Center
- Edwin M. and Gloria W. Appel Prize for bringing entrepreneurial vitality to academe, 2002