Executive Director of the Erdman Center for Operations & Technology Management. Professor - Erdman Center for Operations and Technology Management, Operations & Information Management. Procter & Gamble Bascom Professor
Enno Siemsen joined the Wisconsin School of Business in 2015, after spending 8 years on the faculty at the Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, and 3 years on the faculty at the College of Business, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He received his PhD in Operations Management at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He teaches courses in Operations Management, Sales & Operations Planning, Project Management and Global Operations Strategy. He also teaches in customized Executive Education Programs. His expertise is in the fields of forecasting, sales & operations planning, operations strategy, product development, and project management. Siemsen is a member of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences as well as the Production and Operations Management Society.
His research currently focuses on quality inspections & improvement and on human judgment in sales & operations planning processes. Siemsen has been published in leading outlets such as Management Science, Organization Science, Journal of Operations Management, Production & Operations Management, Strategic Management Journal and Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. His work has also been featured in the Harvard Business Review and the California Management Review. He is the author of ‘Demand Forecasting for Managers’, a recent book on forecasting and organizational decision making. He currently serves as a department editor for the Production and Operations Management Journal and the Decision Sciences Journal, and as an associate editor for the Journal of Operations Management and the Journal of Supply Chain Management.
Selected Accepted Journal Articles
- Kent, P. & Siemsen, E. (2017). Production Process Moves: Template Use and the Need to Adapt. Production and Operations Management
- Wuttke, D. & Donohue, K. & Siemsen, E. (2017). Initiating Supplier New Product Development Projects: a Behavioral Investigation. Production and Operations Management
- Dhanokar, S. & Siemsen, E. & Linderman, K. (2017). Promoting Change from the Outside: Directing Managerial Attention in the Implementation of Environmental Improvements. Management Science
Selected Published Journal Articles
- Lee, Y. & Siemsen, E. (2017). Task Decomposition and Newsvendor Decision Making. Management Science (63), 3226-3245.
- Ball, G. & Siemsen, E. & Shah, R. (2017). Do Plant Inspections Predict Future Quality? The Role of Investigator Experience. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (19), 534-550.
- Ben-Ner, A. & Siemsen, E. (2017). Decentralization and Localization of Production: The Organizational and Economic Consequences of Additive Manufacturing. California Management Review (59), 5-23.
- Jones-Christensen, L. & Siemsen, E. & Branzei, O. & Viswanathan, M. (2017). Response pattern analysis: Assuring data integrity in extreme research settings. Strategic Management Journal (38), 471-482.
- Kor, Y. & Mahoney, J. & Siemsen, E. & Tan, D. (2016). Penrose's The Theory of the Growth of the Firm: An Exemplar of Engaged Scholarship. Production and Operations Management (25), 1727-1744.
- Kremer, M. & Siemsen, E. & Thomas, D. (2016). The Sum and it’s Parts: Judgmental Hierarchical Forecasting. Management Science (62), 2745-2764.
- Gray, J. & Siemsen, E. & Vasudeva, G. (2015). Colocation Still Matters: Conformance Quality and the Interdependence of R&D and Manufacturing in the Pharmaceutical Industry. Management Science (61), 2760-2781.
- Seifert, M. & Eisingerich, A. & Hadida, A. & Siemsen, E. (2015). Effective Judgmental Forecasting in the Context of Fashion Products. Journal of Operations Management (36), 33-45.
- Jones-Christensen, L. & Siemsen, E. & Balasubramanian, S. (2015). Consumer behavior change at the Base of the Pyramid: Bridging the gap between for-profit and social-responsibility strategies. Strategic Management Journal (36), 307-317.
- Moritz, B. & Kremer, M. & Siemsen, E. (2014). Judgmental Forecasting: Cognitive Reflection and Decision Speed. Production and Operations Management (23), 1146-1160.
- Croson, R. & Schultz, K. & Siemsen, E. & Yeo, L. (2013). Behavioral operations: The state of the field. Journal of Operations Management (31), 1-5.
- Anand, G. & Gray, J. & Siemsen, E. (2012). Decay, Shock, and Renewal: Process Entropy and Quality Control in the Pharmaceutical Industry. Organization Science (23), 1700-1816.
- Siemsen, E. (2011). The usefulness of behavioral laboratory experiments. Journal of Supply Chain Management (47), 17-18.
- Kremer, M. & Moritz, B. & Siemsen, E. (2011). Demand Forecasting Behavior: System Neglect and Change Detection. Management Science (57), 1827-1843.
- Katok, E. & Siemsen, E. (2011). Why Genius Leads to Adversity: Experimental Evidence on the Reputational Effects of Task Difficulty Choices. Management Science (57), 1042-1054.
- Siemsen, E. & Roth, A. & Oliveira, P. (2009). Common Method Bias in Regression Models with Linear, Quadratic, and Interaction Effects. Organizational Research Methods (13), 456-476.
- Siemsen, E. & Roth, A. & Balasubramanian, S. & Anand, G. (2009). The Influence of Psychological Safety and Confidence on Employee Knowledge Sharing. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (11), 429-447.
- Donohue, K. & Siemsen, E. (2009). Behavioral operations: Applications in supply chain management. Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science
- Siemsen, E. & Roth, A. & Balasubramanian, S. (2008). How Motivation, Opportunity and Ability Drive Knowledge Sharing: The Constraining Factor Model. Journal of Operations Management (26), 426-445.
- Siemsen, E. (2008). The Hidden Perils of Career Concerns in R&D Organizations. Management Science (54), 863-877.
- Siemsen, E. & Bollen, K. (2007). LAD: An Alternative Estimator for Structural Equation Models. Sociological Methods and Research (36), 227-265.
- Siemsen, E. (2007). Incentives that Induce Task-Related Effort, Helping and Knowledge Sharing in Workgroups. Management Science (53), 1533-1550.
Selected Submitted Journal Articles
Lee, Y. & Seo, Y. & Siemsen, E. (2017). Running Behavioral Experiments using Amazon's Mechanical Turk. Production and Operations Management
Learning/Teaching Oriented Publications
Kolassa, S. & Siemsen, E. (2016). Demand Forecasting for Managers.
Editorial and Reviewing Activities
Decision Sciences Journal - Since January 2017
Supply Chain Management Journal - Since January 2017
Production and Operations Management - Since January 2013
Production and Operations Management - January 2011 - December 2013
Journal of Operations Management - January 2011 - December 2013
Special Issue Editor
Journal of Operations Management - Since January 2010
Production and Operations Management - Since January 2010
Decision Sciences Journal - January 2010 - December 2017
Management Science - January 2009 - December 2010
Production and Operations Management - January 2007 - December 2013