About the course
Negotiation and conflict resolution are integral parts of daily life and working with people. Project managers need the skill to handle people problems before they affect performance whether the problems are within the team or with clients, customers, and stakeholders. This course covers the foundations of negotiation, negotiation strategy including planning and framing, how to recognize and prepare for the phases of a negotiation, and how cultural differences are increasingly playing a role in the globalize economy. Another aspect of working with people is how to deal with the inevitable conflicts that may arise. Project managers are called upon to resolve conflicts not only within their teams but also with clients, customers, and other stakeholders. This course will also cover argumentation, constructive and destructive conflict, conflict resolution styles, and various approaches to conflict resolution.
At the completion of the course, a successful student will be able to:
- Identify a negotiation situation, understand the dynamics of the negotiation process, and apply the basic approach to become successful in all negotiations.
- Recognize and adopt the appropriate strategy for the two different types of negotiations: integrative and distributive.
- Apply the key characteristics of negotiation techniques to obtain necessary human and financial resources to accomplish project objectives.
- Identify decision-making and conflict resolution behaviors a leader can use to effectively resolve an inter- or intra-group conflict.
- Appropriately apply the five types of conflict resolution techniques.
Susan Kudla Finn, PMP, is a dynamic leader, compelling communicator and highly skilled lobbyist with an impressive track record of success leading seven diverse organizations. Susan has taught a diverse portfolio of project management courses to over 2,000 students in Fortune 500 companies and 16...
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.