XCPD-487 Leading Project Teams
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with School of Continuing Studies.Full disclaimer.
Individual skill alone will not lead to successful projects. One of the most important roles for a project manager is to lead and motivate a diverse and high-performing team. Forming teams of diverse skills and expertise can be difficult but also very rewarding. This course takes a close look at current thinking on effective leadership and how to lead in a project-based environment. During the course, students examine issues of team formation and function. By understanding team dynamics, successful project managers can adjust their leadership approach and style to to maximize the contribution of all team members. Focus is given to using the tools of motivation, power, and communication to better achieve project objectives. Finally, because communication plays a vital role in project success, the course covers the multi-dimensional nature of communication and the "soft skills" that are essential for effective leadership.
Upon completion of the course, a successful student will be able to:
- Describe how teams form, develop, and achieve project objectives.
- Discuss the basics of communication.
- Analyze the influences of gender and cultural diversity on group interaction.
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills with an understanding of leadership theories and adaptive communication strategies.
- Describe the nature of virtual groups and compare the factors affecting processes in group communication in the virtual environment.
- Resolve group conflict and promote cohesion among members.
Project Management Fundamentals (XCPD-480) or permission of the instructor.