About the course
Individual skill alone will not lead to successful projects. One of the most important roles for a project manager is to lead and motivate a diverse and high-performing team. Forming teams of diverse skills and expertise can be difficult but also very rewarding.
This course takes a close look at current thinking on effective leadership and how to lead in a project-based environment. During the course, students examine issues of team formation and function. By understanding team dynamics, successful project managers can adjust their leadership approach and style to to maximize the contribution of all team members. Focus is given to using the tools of motivation, power, and communication to better achieve project objectives. Finally, because communication plays a vital role in project success, the course covers the multi-dimensional nature of communication and the "soft skills" that are essential for effective leadership.
Upon completion of the course, a successful student will be able to:
- Describe how teams form, develop, and achieve project objectives.
- Discuss the basics of communication.
- Analyze the influences of gender and cultural diversity on group interaction.
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills with an understanding of leadership theories and adaptive communication strategies.
- Describe the nature of virtual groups and compare the factors affecting processes in group communication in the virtual environment.
- Resolve group conflict and promote cohesion among members.
Amy Warner has 20 years of project management experience. In May of 2019 she joined The Hershey Company, where she serves as the Experiential Innovation Manager for The Hershey Experience team. Prior to joining Hershey, she provided operational oversight for the factory tour and company store loc...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.