Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with eCornell.Full disclaimer.
About the course
This five-course certificate program examines the issues facing women in leadership positions and offers strategies for handling them. Professor Deborah Streeter balances academic research regarding social norms and expectations with practical strategies for operating effectively within the workplace. She discusses how to outmaneuver the “double bind” dilemma, showing strong leadership qualities without being penalized for it. Topics discussed by Professor Streeter within the Women in Leadership program include how women can best negotiate in the workplace, ways to effectively provide both positive and negative feedback and how they can strengthen their emotional intelligence to stand out as a leader among both men and women.
This Women in Leadership program positions women who are in leadership positions to recognize when there is a gender dimension at work and how they can outstrategize gender bias and their own habits to achieve better results.
- Women in Leadership: Navigating the Double Bind
- Women in Leadership: Negotiation Skills
- Women in Leadership: Using Emotional Intelligence to Drive Results
- Women in Leadership: Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Women in Leadership: Outsmart the Work-Life Balance
KEY COURSE TAKEAWAYS
- Navigate the “double bind” dilemma facing women in leadership; that is, women are both penalized for using leadership behaviors associated with masculinity and penalized as being weak if their behavior is seen as too feminine
- Outmaneuver typical negotiation traps that women leaders fall into
- Develop emotional intelligence so that women can lead others with greater empathy, self-awareness, and social management
- Give feedback effectively, putting their team in a position to succeed
- Identify what an optimal work/life balance looks like and give women leaders the tools needed to craft this balance for themselves, allowing for both professional and personal success
WHAT YOU'LL EARN
- Women in Leadership Certificate from Cornell SC Johnson College of Business
- 40 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- 30 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) toward SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP recertification
Who should attend
- Women who are mid- to-senior level managers
- Women with 3-10 years experience who are aspiring to move into leadership roles
Trust the experts
Deborah Streeter is the Bruce F. Failing, Sr. Professor of Personal Enterprise and Small Business Management at the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management. Entrepreneurship and small business management are the focus of Dr. Streeter’s teaching, research, and outreach activiti...
Women in Leadership Certificate from Cornell University