Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Value Creation for Owners and Directors is designed for owners and directors of private and listed companies, including chairs of boards and shareholders in family firms. It will also benefit senior professionals from the institutional investment community, managers of sovereign wealth funds or strategic investment units, and professionals from firms that serve boards and their committees.
About the course
Sustaining performance through active ownership
Value Creation for Owners and Directors is a four-day programme designed to develop the skills and knowledge for highly effective ownership and board membership. Due to a significant shift of responsibility for company performance and sustainability (that is, value creation and preservation) from management to the boardroom, business owners and directors need to play an increasingly active and critical role in strategic guidance, oversight and effective decision-making.
This programme focuses on the key areas of value creation, including finance, governance, strategy, leadership and organisational skills. Through specifically developed INSEAD frameworks and tools, the programme provides business owners and directors with the skills that will enable them to incorporate the concept of value creation in a more systematic, principled and disciplined approach.
How you benefit
- Understanding of responsibilities: Understand the broader context in which owners and directors operate and the responsibilities that come with an ownership or director mandate.
- Overview of knowledge and competencies: Gain an overview of the knowledge and competencies expected from owners and directors today.
- Skills to create board culture: Develop skills that contribute to the creation of a high-performing board culture.
- Ability to challenge: Hone the ability to challenge other directors, investors, executives and experts through positive exchanges focused on the key issues that underpin value creation.
The Value Creation for Owners and Directors programme develops both knowledge and actionable skills during four days of focused engagement. Our frameworks and tools enable you to pursue a more systematic, principled and disciplined approach to value creation.
The programme covers six essential topics as follows.
Ownership and director challenges
- The five dimensions of owner and director challenges in the pursuit of value creation
- Overcoming the hurdles to sustainable value creation
- Understanding owners and directors' biases and assessing how they negatively impact the value creation process as well as the link between ownership/family problems and firm and corporate issues
- Addressing behavioural pitfalls that lead to wrong decisions of boards and managers and distort their interactions
- The key principle of fair process leadership
- The creation of mutual trust and commitment
- Understanding the different facets and meaning of value creation for owners, directors and managers
- Relating financial value to Corporate Social Investment Policies and Impact investing
- Identifying the key financial issues that your company faces in growing
- Determining your goals
- Developing a set of tools to screen corporate financial policies and growth plans
Managing risk and coping with disruption
- Identifying key risk domains
- Assessing the risk of obsolescence and how ownership and boards should cope with disruption
- Developing an effective risk management strategy and process
- Growth: the main source of value creation
- The various strategic options for growth: organic growth, M&As, strategic alliances and international expansion
- Insights to select the right strategy and ensure successful growth
- Growth, continuous innovation and coping with disruption: an ownership/director's approach
- How to evaluate your value creation strategy – and adapt it for implementation
- Internal and external auditing
- The fundamental choices of the owner: exit, voice or loyalty
Massimo Massa is the Rothschild Chaired Professor of Banking, Professor of Finance at INSEAD, where he teaches international finance, corporate finance, information financial economics and behavioral finance in M.B.A., Ph.D. and Executive programs. He graduated summa cum laude from the Department...
Ludo Van der Heyden has been Professor of Technology Management at INSEAD since 1988. He is actively teaching in the MBA, Executive, and PhD Programmes. He holds the INSEAD Chair in Corporate Governance. He is actively contributing to the MBA, Executive and PhD Programmes, and is the Academic Dir...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.