Who should attend
Acquisition professionals who need to increase their understanding of contractor business strategies and sharpen their business acumen skills.
About the course
21st Century contracting professionals will need solid business acumen and an advanced understanding of how contractors operate in order to craft better contracting solutions. This course will help you master a wide range of business acumen competencies including industry orientation, organization, cost and financial planning, business strategy/development, supplier management, incentives, and negotiating strategies. This course will provide a thorough understanding of the strategy, finances, operational considerations, and the motivators that drive contractor business decisions.
- Explain how the scope and diversity of the current industry landscape influences companies’ methods of competing for defense contracts
- Describe how a company's organization supports and adapts to its business strategy
- Explain cost accounting basics companies use to manage direct, indirect costs, and rates for proposals and program execution
- Describe the importance of company cost estimating requirements, methods, and key process elements
- Using standard company financial reports and metrics, assess company’s financial health to enable best-value program decisions
- Identify and assess company management challenges in optimizing prime/sub-contractor relationships and decisions in its supply chain
- Assess opportunities and constraints companies weigh prioritizing market opportunities, B&P resources, teaming and strategy
- Evaluating a company’s capture planning bid / no-bid decision process and an RFP response from the proposal development process
- Given a scenario, assess company incentives, motivations, and rewards that lead to increasing shareholder value
- Apply the strategies companies use to incentivize their workforce at various levels
- List the deliverables and explain the purpose of the Capstone Exercise
- Develop a company negotiating strategy using business acumen tools that promotes a fair profit and better taxpayer deal
- Given a company financial situation and market segment, students will evaluate the company’s annual decisions to “meet the numbers”
Company Strategy & Organization
Cost Estimating and Pricing
Supplier/Supply Chain Management
Company Incentives, Motivations, and Rewards
Incentivize the Workforce
Capstone Introduction and Instructions
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.