Who should attend
This course is intended for Electrical Maintenance Engineers, Supervisors and Technicians working in maintenance related roles who need either a greater awareness of, or to become more proficient in, the troubleshooting of electrical equipment and control systems and electrical maintenance activities. Because the methods and examples are generic, personnel from all industries will benefit.
About the course
Accurate troubleshooting and subsequent repair of electrical equipment is necessary in today’s sophisticated industrial environments to ensure continued efficient operation and productivity of the equipment. This course introduces the functions and failure modes of various electrical equipment and control systems, the common terminology in this field, and troubleshooting methods for various electrical equipment and control system problems. The course crosses the boundaries from the fundamental information to top notch in the recent technological achievement in troubleshooting of electrical equipment and control circuits.
Upon the successful completion of this course, each participant will be able to:-
- To develop a structured approach to electrical troubleshooting using common terminology and to provide troubleshooting methods and solutions for various electrical equipment and control systems problems.
- To develop a better understanding of various test equipment used in electrical troubleshooting. To develop a better understanding of various electrical equipment and control systems design, functionality and failure modes.
- To better understand work practices, which allow for successful troubleshooting including job plans. To provide examples of successful troubleshooting techniques and ‘hands on’ experiences plus case studies and group problem solving exercises.
- To provide troubleshooting methods and solutions for various electrical equipment and control systems problems.
Chapter (01) Power System Sources and Configurations
- Electrical engineering basic concepts,
- Generation system layout,
- Transmission layout,
- Distribution layout,
- Substation layout,
Chapter (02) ACTIVE AND REACTIVE POWER FLOW CONTROL
- Active Power
- Reactive Power
- Power factor correction
- Case Study
Chapter (03) Switchgear Trouble Shooting & Diagnosis
- Different Types of Switchgear
- Different Types of Circuit Breakers
- Air Circuit Breaker
- Oil SF6 Circuit Breaker
- SF6 Circuit Breaker
- Vacuum SF6 Circuit Breaker
- Circuit Breaker Interruption Currents
- Making Currents
- Breaking Currents
- Case Study of Trouble-shooting procedures for switchgear equipment
Chapter (4) Transformers Trouble Shooting & Diagnosis
- Transformer Theory
- Transformer Types
- Types of Power Transformer
- Protection of Transformers
- Maintenance Testing Overview
Chapter (05) Electric Motors Trouble Shooting & Diagnosis
- Different Types of Motors
- Motor application guide
- Motor operating considerations.
- Motor insulation testing.
- Case Study of Trouble-shooting procedures for Electrical Motors
Chapter (06) Power Cables Trouble Shooting & Diagnosis
- Different Types of Cables
- Cable Construction
- Cable insulation testing
- Over-potential testing.
- Direct current (DC) tests.
- Alternating current (AC) tests.
- Case Study of Trouble-shooting procedures for Cables
Chapter (07) Transmission Lines Trouble Shooting & Diagnosis
- Transmission Line Towers
- Different Types of Insulators
- Suspension Insulators
- Pin Type Insulator
Chapter (08) Grounding
- Types of Grounding systems
- Ground fault interrupting Methods
- Ground Maintenance
Module (09) Test Equipment
- Equipment Maintenance.
- Volt-Ohm-Milliammeter (VOM).
- Tools and Equipment for Effective Electrical Maintenance.
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.