TEFL-510 - Tefl Practicum
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with School of Continuing Studies.Full disclaimer.
The purpose of the practicum is to provide students with the opportunity to apply theory learned during the online course to a real classroom setting, from which they will receive instructor, observer, and student feedback on their lesson planning and teaching. Students will synthesize course learnings, present their portfolio of work, and submit a philosophy of teaching essay.
By the conclusion of the practicum, students will have achieved the following:
- Conducted a student needs assessment during an introductory lesson;
- Utilized needs assessment to plan instruction for four subsequent lessons;
- Integrated student assessment into the instructional planning cycle;
- Applied the principles of objectives-based, student-centered communicative language teaching to the preparation of 5 lesson plans;
- Engaged in written reflection following each teaching session;
- Provided peer input during lesson plan review sessions;
- Utilized instructor/observer feedback for continuous improvement in teaching;
- Completed a portfolio presentation and
- Prepared a philosophy of teaching statement.
Practicum – Masters Certificate in Adult Training and Development
The capstone module of your adult training and development experience.
To receive your Masters Certificate in Adult Training and Development you must attend and complete all four in-class program modules and then complete the Practicum by submitting a report.
Once all modules have been completed you then submit a Practicum Report, within the policy timeline, for successful program completion.
The Practicum Report provides you with an opportunity to reflect on your practicum experience. The idea is to apply new learning from this program, so we strongly recommend you do something you haven’t done before.
You are responsible for arranging your own practicum. If you’re looking for an opportunity outside of your workplace, consider contacts among your fellow students, contacting a community or volunteer organization that can use your expertise, or promoting an event on your own among friends or for the general public. A practicum placement at your workplace is acceptable, as long as it is a new initiative that can add value to your learning from the MCATD and benefit your employer. It should not be part of your regular paid work.
ADDIE (Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation i.e. Facilitation, Evaluation)
The focus of this option is your demonstration of and reflection on the design and delivery of training for adult learners.
Given this focus, you will draw on your learning in all modules. The emphasis will be on your critical evaluation of the results you achieve in areas where you set specific learning objectives for yourself.
Primary Purpose for Selection:
- To practise a particular skill (e.g., facilitation, conflict management, interventions)
- To gather and respond to learner feedback on your design and facilitation
- To prepare for the I4PL facilitation track.
- Evaluation is based on the quality of your reflection in the Practicum report – what you did, how well it worked and what you would do differently next time.
- Your learning will take place regardless of the success of your session and that should be reflected in your report.
- The assessment is Pass, or Incomplete, with an opportunity to resubmit part or all of an incomplete practicum.
- Must include at least four hours of facilitation. This may be comprised of two different two-hour sessions delivered to the same audience, or the same two-hour session delivered twice, to two different audiences.
- Each session should have no fewer than six participants.
- May be “training” or “development” – i.e., could focus on knowledge or attitudes with a longer-term focus.
Session can be co-designed and/or co-facilitated (maximum of two partners, but you must be equal partners in all aspects of the design and facilitation). You must each prepare and submit an individual proposal and report that includes reflection on the training, and what you learned as a result of the partnership.
Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation (i.e., Facilitation), Evaluation
ID (Skill Demonstration in Instructional Design)
The focus of this option is to demonstrate a good grasp of the essentials of instructional design through applying the steps of the instructional design process introduced in Module 3, to design effective training for a specific group of adult learners.
Given this focus, you will draw primarily from your learning in Module 3. (Emphasis on Module 2 will depend on the project you select.)
Primary Purpose for Selection:
- To practise each step in the instructional design process
- To receive feedback from an expert in instructional design
- To prepare for the I4PL design track.
- Evaluation is based on the principles and practices of instructional design as outlined in Module 3.
- You must meet the basic standards of effective instructional design, including a detailed task analysis, application-level objectives and Level 2 evaluation.
- The assessment is “Pass”, or “Incomplete”, with an opportunity to resubmit part or all of an incomplete practicum.
- May be self-study or facilitated by someone else.
- Must be “training” – i.e., preparing people to perform a specific task.
- Content must include one or more specific tasks and may range from relatively complex (e.g. manage a project) to relatively simple (e.g. prepare a resume)
- Must include a task analysis, application-level learning objectives and matching practice activities.
Report must include learning materials (or link to program or screen captures if elearning) and facilitator materials (or storyboards if elearning)
I4PL CSTP Designation
The third MCATD practicum option is to obtain your CTDP (Certified Training & Development Professional) designation with the I4PL (Institute for Performance and Learning).
You must complete all core modules of the MCATD/AD/ASD program before you write the exam and submit the skill demo with the I4PL, while remaining within the MCATD one-year timeline for practicum completion. (Note: The CTP Senior Portfolio Assessment does not meet the requirements of the MCATD Practicum. The I4PL portfolio is a submission of paper work supporting the candidate’s career in learning and development. It is not a practical demonstration of skill.)
Please inform the SEEC Program Manager Virginia Addesi and Practicum Coordinator Leanna DiCecca of your intended timeline for completion, and when you have obtained your CTDP designation, so we can provide your Masters Certificate.