TEFL-500 - Tefl Online
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with School of Continuing Studies.Full disclaimer.
TEFL-500 is designed to prepare students for TEFL instruction through a rigorous combination of theory and application. The course is part of the TEFL Certificate Program and is conducted online through canvas.georgetown.edu; a co-requisite in the program is an in-person practicum course.
- Students will demonstrate familiarity with theory and application of key second language acquisition theories and strategies;
- Students will successfully develop lesson plans in ESL/EFL skill areas, including objectives, well-sequenced activities, and assessment;
- Students will develop a needs assessment aimed at generating curricular objectives for subsequent lessons;
- Students will reflect on their growth as teachers and their emergent professional identity through five journal reflections, culminating in a philosophy of teaching statement;
- Students will undertake at least five 2-hour classroom observations, which will serve as the basis of critique and analysis using course perspectives;
- Students will lead and engage in collaborative exchanges with peers seeking to synthesize, apply, and ultimately put into action course principles and best practices in ESL/EFL teaching;
- During the student teaching practicum component of the course, students will plan and deliver 10 hours of instruction, prepare reflections subsequent to their teaching, and engage in continuous improvement and deepening understanding of the instructional cycle and process in ESL/EFL classrooms;
- Students will develop and present professional teaching portfolios using Georgetown Commons.
Masters Certificate in Adult Training and Development
Well-educated facilitators are key to the success of the adult training function in organizations across sectors.
Training staff has become increasingly critical for organizational agility and responsiveness to client needs. This program helps to develop all of the essential competencies required to function as a professional in the teaching of adult learners in the workplace. It was developed at the graduate level in response to expressed needs of Master’s Degree students, who felt that an introduction to adult learning principles needed to be complemented by hands-on experiential practice in the skills of teaching adult learners.
The program promises to expose learners to all of the core theory and practice of the training field, in order to develop professionals who not only understand why they are teaching in certain ways, but also are able to skillfully apply this understanding to their actual behaviour on the job.
This Masters Certificate program includes 13 days of instruction over four months, followed by a practicum to be completed within a year. Participants must take Module 1 and choose two of Modules 2, 3 and 4, plus the practicum (3 modules + practicum).
Course content details
The Essence of Adult Learning and Teaching
Explore key principles and processes of adult learning and training, with a focus on the participant as an adult learner, assessing trainer competencies, setting personal learning goals and clarifying values.
- Learn key principles and process of adult learning & training
- Reflect on yourself as the adult learner – trainer competencies, personal learning goals, and values clarification
- Recognize and manage factors outside of the learner – environment, learner-centered and experiential approaches
- Understand factors within the learner – learning style and other differences, motivation to learn
Designing Learning for Performance
Part 1: Using a simple yet elegant model, you will learn about the factors that affect performance and be able to examine the needs assessment process and how it can be used in a variety of situations.
- Examine factors that affect performance
- Develop a needs assessment strategy to respond to a variety of situations
- Explore a range of data collection methods (organization audits, focus groups, nominal group technique, surveys and interviews)
- Use these tools in class and receive feedback on “live” application
- Learn how to apply all the above in the evaluation process
Part 2: In this session, we’ll explore a step-by-step process for designing performance-based learning that’s relevant, engaging, and grounded in instructional design principles.
- Design e-learning, e-classroom and classroom learning
- Design job aids and structured workplace learning
- Explore case studies for technical and interpersonal skills
- Complete a relevant design project of your choice
Creating High Impact Learner-centred Classrooms
Part 1: This session is designed to set you on the path to becoming a master facilitator. Building on the concepts learned in Modules 1 and 2, you will be taught the skills to become a learner-centered facilitator.
- Increase interest, learning, motivation and accountability among participants
- Understand the phases of group development and how to respond as a leader
- Learn how to deal with conflict, how to give feedback constructively, how to read the symptoms of a group in trouble, and what to do about it
- Practise your facilitation skills in a safe, supportive environment
- Conduct a facilitated session with multiple attendees
- Properly set up the space for a facilitated session
- Identify and address common behavioural issues in the session
- Increase learner engagement by making it relevant to participants
Part 2: During this session you will learn why presentation skills matter in today’s information-saturated world. Our emphasis will be on in-person presentations, with some reflection on conversion to effective online presentations.
- Learn a proven seven-step process to guide you through presentation preparation and delivery
- Learn methods for making your presentations memorable and compelling
- Gain enough practice and feedback to fuel your ongoing development for years to come
- Engage in exercises to help you continue to build your confidence and sense of presence
Dynamic eLearning Development and Facilitation
Part 1: This session will provide you with all the basic skills required to design and build e-learning courses in Storyline 3 or 360. You’ll also learn how to design interactive, online courses that engage learners and accomplish stated learning objectives.
- Build a basic elearning course, based on storyboards, using Articulate Storyline 3 or 360
- Adapt the MCATD instructional design process for self-paced elearning
- Scope requirements for elearning courses based on real-life cases
- Learn best practices for writing elearning storyboards
- Create advanced interactions using variables, conditions and triggers
- Update course to comply with AODA accessibility requirements
Part 2 (blended format – part in-class, part on-line): This session explores the virtual classroom and the unique facilitation techniques that can be used to make learning most impactful in a virtual setting.
- Explore and adopt virtual facilitation best practices when hosting virtual classroom sessions
- Incorporate virtual classroom design principles into your training materials
- Navigate and explore features and functions of the WebEx Training Center
- Use the WebEx Training Center to deliver a 20-minute virtual classroom session on a topic of your choice
Practicum in Adult Training and Development
The choice of one of three rigorous practicum options provides an oppportunity to apply everything you have learned in a real-world situation of your selection. Individual coaching and mentoring by faculty provide the support needed to make the Practicum a uniquely valuable learning experience.
Completion of the Practicum is mandatory for the Masters Certificate in Adult Training and Development. The practicum fee is included with your program registration, however you must register your choice of the three options. Visit the Practicum web page for details and to register.
Who should attend
- HR professionals
- Organization Development
- Workplace educators of all kinds