Strategies for Nonprofit Human Capital Design
Best Practices For the Contemporary Nonprofit
Each nonprofit leader must think about how, why and who they intake as part of their workforce. Hiring right is the first and most crucial step in implementing strategic human resources management practices in nonprofit organizations.
Guided by world-class faculty through a series of sessions, you will find yourself thinking of strategic ways to design the right job, hire smart and increase your cross-generational and cross-sector agility in order to better understand the current and future workforce. You will also actively learn about volunteer engagement; and how to sustain engagement at every level of your organization.
- Think strategically about who and why you hire
- Design a plan for motivating volunteers to carry out the mission
- Understand cross-generational and cross-sector hiring and management
- Learn how to craft jobs that establish a hiring strategy for the organization
- Maximize organizational performance by increasing staff engagement
Nonprofit Workforce Planning Strategy
There is a great need for nonprofits to think about the mission-related and business drivers, which define their strategic workforce needs. These questions should not only be focused on how many people the organization needs, but also the capabilities and skills needed, when, and at what cost to the organization.
- Examine your current workforce planning strategy
- Reformulate based on supply & demand gap analysis and talent needs
- Discuss the changes needed in the staffing & compensation strategies to align with mission-related and strategic goals
- Evaluate your ability to retain talent through performance management
Performance Management Strategies
Performance management and feedback systems, when coupled with clearly defined job expectations, help boost performance.
- Define the organizational HR culture
- Evaluate existing performance management system for alignment with employee needs and organizational goals
- Consider feedback mechanisms that will work for your organization
Talent Acquisition - Hire Right
- Discuss how to achieve organizational goals and maximize organizational performance by hiring talent that will support the organization's mission
- Learn to hire the right talent which has not only the necessary technical skills, but also competencies, knowledge and skills that are aligned with your organization’s culture and values
- Participate in an open discussion on real-life learning with a leader responsible for hiring
Maximizing Engagement By Rethinking "Job Design"
- What incentives can nonprofits use to motivate people and engage them in their work?
- Explore the concept of job crafting - a flexible, customized and bottom-up approach to design tasks and work
- Explore different types of job crafting Learn about the benefits of job crafting through applied learning, including a Burt’s Bees® case study
Effective Volunteer Management
- Volunteers are the lifeblood of a nonprofit organization
- Understand how to engage volunteers and provide them with significant direction to make an impact within the organization and the communities served
- Address key tactics for identifying roles and responsibilities for volunteers, managing volunteers effectively as well as provide an overview of how to move volunteers into different roles
Who should attend
- Nonprofit managers tasked with recruiting and hiring functions within their nonprofits
- Senior nonprofit leaders who supervise human resources staff
- Cross-functional leaders poised for a nonprofit ‘VP of Recruiting & Talent Development’ and similar roles
- Public sector and government leaders who are responsible for recruiting functions
- Career switchers or for-profit leaders who intend on joining a nonprofit team or Board