Who should attend
This basic HR training course is designed for those who already have some responsibility on HR or who may be taking on such responsibility. It is intended in particular for:
- HR managers and practitioners
- Experienced managers who are new to HR or pursuing a career change
- Project managers
- Heads of mission
- Executive Directors of smaller NGOs.
About the course
People are an organization’s most important resource and asset. Good management of individuals and the workforce is crucial to attain the organizational goals and objectives. This intensive five-day course for practitioners provides a comprehensive and solid foundation in human resource management.
During the first two days, participants will learn how to carry out hiring processes and how to develop adequate compensation with the development of a salary policy, social benefits and contracts. During day’s three to five, participants will learn and practice how to develop a HR strategy and guidelines, how to develop procedures for job evaluations, promotions and training programs for the workforce. Particular emphasis is placed on managing intercultural and gender issues. Participants will learn how to develop a plan for HR development, how to communicate HR strategies with employees effectively and how to manage stress and conflict.
During the course, real-life HR issues and experiences are discussed and shared to develop the participant’s knowledge, skills and mindsets on HR Management. Participants will gain a hands-on experience in the actual preparation, building and implementation of a HR policy.
By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Define the main functions of HR management
- Establish effective recruitment and selection techniques
- Develop basic compensation and benefits packages
- Use appropriate tools and checklist for human resource management
- Develop different strategies for a human resource policy
- Create a human resources strategy and plan
- Realize job evaluations, define criteria for promotions and outline staff training programs
- Deal with intercultural and gender issues
- Learn how to deal with stress and conflict
- Communicate HR issues effectively.
Defining Human Resources
- What is Human Resource Management and Development?
- Why do we need to develop and manage our human resources?
- Developing our workforce: Aligning individual goals to the organization’s vision and mission
Getting the Best Employees: Hiring Processes
- HR needs analysis
- Crafting the job description
- Recruitment and selection process: Getting the right fit for the right job
- Interview preparation, techniques and testing
Hiring Processes (continued)
- Selecting the right person for the right job
- Managing intercultural and gender Issues
- Integrating new employees
- Designing and carrying out job evaluations
- Defining salary policy and scaling
- Identifying social benefits
- Establishing contracts
Developing HR Management Policies and Guidelines
- Identifying and establishing the legal framework: international/local contexts
- Designing workforce strategy and planning
- Establishing internal regulations and guidelines
- Documenting and filing HR processes
- Distinguishing various types of HR software
Human Resource Development
- Managing performance evaluations
- Creating a development plan
- Planning and developing individual careers
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Succession planning
- Developing and carrying out training needs analysis and outlining training programs
- Dealing with HR exits
Human Resource Development (continued)
- Managing intercultural and gender issues at the workplace
- Managing stress and conflict
Communicating HR Strategies with Employees
- Defining principles of communication on HR issues
- Communicating policies
- Monitoring and Ensuring compliance to HR policies
- Sharing best practices and HR tools.
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.