Who should attend
The Strategic Workforce Planning (SWP) curriculum is designed for:
- Anyone in HR, OD, or related roles who is getting started with workforce planning
- Current HR, OD, and workforce planning practitioners who want to bring greater discipline to their work using a model and tools
Specific disciplines include:
- Human Resources
- Talent Acquisition and Recruitment
- Organizational Development
- Strategy and Workforce Planning
- People Analytics
- Stakeholders in the Business Line or Finance
About the course
Skill gaps or shortages. Turnover. An aging workforce. Changing business models. Managing talent risks and expenses. The complexity and urgency of these issues make it feel impossible to plan more than a few months out.
You need a way to develop and implement a workforce plan that is agile and dynamic enough to help your organization thrive in today’s environment—while at the same time establishing yourself as a strategic partner to the business.
HCI’s model takes workforce planning out of the theoretical realm and gives you a methodology and set of tools that you can implement right away—beginning in class.
- Assess Your Organization’s Readiness – Find out where you stand so you can successfully implement and sustain workforce planning.
- Align Your Strategy – Segment roles according to your organization’s strategy.
- Scan the Environment – Look for internal and external factors that affect your ability to put the right talent in place.
- Construct Data-Based Scenarios – Imagine what the future holds so you can prepare for it.
- Develop an Action Plan – Compare where you are now with where you want to go. Make and monitor a plan to close the gaps.
Course Outline | Day 1
Strategic Workforce Planning (SWP) in Context
- Discover the context of strategic workforce planning
- Distinguish between operational and strategic workforce planning
- Evaluate your organization’s strategic workforce planning readiness
HCI’s SWP Model
- Align workforce planning to your organization’s strategy
- Segment roles to identify the most strategic roles for your workforce planning efforts
- Scan the environment for internal and external factors that impact your organization’s ability to carry out its strategy
- Conduct a current state analysis of your most strategic roles
- Construct scenarios that help your organization prepare for the future
Course Outline | Day 2
HCI’s SWP Model
- Construct scenarios that help your organization prepare for the future (continued from Day 1)
- Identify gaps between current and future states
- Create an action plan to fill gaps; track progress of the plan
Bringing SWP to Life
- Implement and sustain strategic workforce planning by applying the practices of high-performing organizations in six key areas
- Plan your next steps to bring strategic workforce planning to your organization or to improve your existing process
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.