Who should attend
The Strategic Sustainability program is designed for senior executives and managers responsible for strategic decisions, either directly or indirectly regarding the sustainable development strategy of the company, business or department.
The program is also beneficial for:
- Executives who are and/or need to change the conversation in their companies, industries, and communities about the impact their companies are making on climate change
- Managers who are responsible for the corporate sustainability strategy and sustainable development
- Executives who want to develop their expertise in sustainable development and prepare for the future.
About the course
How do you integrate sustainability into a business strategy?
Sustainable development and corporate social responsibility impact your business; how is your company shaping the market? And why is sustainability a strategic goal for business?
Sustainable actions of a company start with engaged leaders who are aware of the resources needed. Sustainability is a competitive advantage socially, environmentally, and economically more now than ever before, and it is an important matter for senior executives and leaders in order to responsibly lead the company into the future while valuing company transparency and reputation. A sustainable innovation culture requires top management commitment and ambition to make a difference. Are you, as a leader, ready and prepared?
The Strategic Sustainability for Business program focuses on strengthening the link between sustainability and business strategy within the business environment. Leaders need to take action and manage the value chain of their business, ensuring that sustainability and business strategy are mutually complementary.
The program is a comprehensive introduction to sustainability strategy development and implementation within the business. During the program, you will increase your understanding of key strategic themes for future success through sustainability. You will network with experienced leaders and experts via inspiring group discussions and reflections, lectures, and business presentations.
The Strategic Sustainability program helps participants to gain a strategic and holistic view of sustainable development. It also enlightens how to create value through sustainable strategies and strengthen the link between sustainability and strategy in the company. Participants will learn the impact of sustainable development incorporated on a strategic level, and get tools for inspirational leadership towards the change.
Increase your understanding on key strategic themes for future success through sustainability
Rethink the value chain and build a clear vision for economic success and competitive advantage through sustainability
Drill down to potential new business models to adopt a greater innovation mindset and to drive transformation within the organization
Contents and Schedule
The program consists of a blended setup of online and face-to-face sessions. The program includes a kick-off webinar, an introductory online course to the field and four full-day training days including wrap-up and post-program food for thoughts.
During the program, you will work on a sustainability strategy workbook designed for this program, explicitly for your company. The workbook will follow you throughout the program and the goal is for you to have concrete action steps for your organization to apply.
The program combines practical knowledge and real cases with top names in the area from academia and the business world.
- Pre-program periodKick-off webinar and online material to support program start
- Four face-to-face training daysIntensive face-to-face sessions and inspirational networking with instructor and peers
- Post-program periodFuture steps to reach targets for further support
Introduction to Sustainable Development in a Business Environment: Webinar
- What does sustainability mean for my organization?
- Introduction to Corporate Responsibility
- Global Sustainability Trends and Goals
- Leading change and innovation
Strategy Development: Sustainability in Business
- Linking sustainability with corporate strategy and competitive advantage
- Obtaining business success through sustainability
- Sustainability challenges as a basis for innovation
- Sustainable business models
Strategy Implementation: Leading Sustainability and Building Organizational Capabilities
- What type of organizations succeeds in sustainability?
- Unique competences for successful companies.
- Leading and executing – implementation of sustainability
- Linking sustainability to change processes
Education Ph.D., Doctoral School of Organization & Management Studies, Copenhagen Business School MBA, International Business, University of Minnesota B.S., Industrial Engineering, University of Wisconsin Positions Held At Haas since 2014 2014 – present, Executive Director, Ber...
I have been working with questions of corporate responsibility and sustainability for more than 25 years, both in the private sector, at the United Nations, and lately in the academia. I have also carried out consulting work for several ministries as well as for the OECD. Currently I am a Senior ...
Alex Budak is a faculty member at UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business where he created and teaches the transformative course, “Becoming a Changemaker.” Regularly one of Haas’ highest rated offerings, Alex’s changemaker course brings together his experience as an entrepreneur, academic and advis...
Fabián Sepúlveda is a Senior Advisor at Aalto University Executive Education. He is actively involved in Finland’s entrepreneurial ecosystem as a startup coach and Lean Launchpad® trainer, and helps organizations understand and execute Lean Startup methodologies and customer development. Sepúlve...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.