Who should attend
The programme is designed specifically for senior bankers, including board members, responsible for retail, corporate, capital markets and international banking.
About the course
Developing a strategic mindset in the fast-changing banking world
How should banks reassess their strategies after the global financial crisis? What are the strategic implications of the Basel 3 regulations on capital and liquidity? How will big data and digital banking change the future of banking? How to sustain revenue growth? The Strategic Management in Banking programme provides senior bankers and board members with the opportunity to reassess and explore the future of banking, developing new approaches for strategic management in a fast changing environment.
How you benefit
- Build a command of strategic positioning. Gain expertise in strategic positioning, including competition with new entrants and growth.
- Reassess asset management and private banking. Explore and anticipate the future of asset management and private banking.
- Master big data and digital banking strategies. Learn to use big data, social media and digital banking to develop new ideas for cultivating customer-centricity.
- Enhance your skills in value creation and risk control (ALM). Using simulation that recreates an international banking environment, you will perfect your skills in long-term value creation and risk control.
- Discuss strategy implementation and trust. Understand the common pitfalls in strategy implementation and learn how to make it happen.
Strategic Management in Banking is a nine-day programme designed to help senior banking executives and board members reassess their strategies, given the rapid changes in banking – including ultra-low interest rates, Basel 3 regulations on capital and liquidity, and the opportunities and threats of big data, social media and digital banking. You will discuss relevant issues such as: options for strategic positioning after the global financial crisis; the use of big data; and digital disruption to deepen relationships in both retail and private banking; asset and liability management; and discuss strategy implementation and trust.
The Strategic Management in Banking programme draws on more than 30 years of research organised by the Centre for International Financial Services, a long-standing partnership between INSEAD and selected financial institutions. You will learn through financial institution case studies, group discussion and classroom teaching in the following key areas.
The future of the financial services industry
- Competitive analysis of the banking industry
- Organic growth versus acquisition
- International banking
- Digital disruption
- Basel 3, and special resolution regimes with bail-in debt
- Product design and performance
- Private banking
- Corporate and investment banking
- Universal banking vs. specialised banking
- Value-Based Management
- Profit centres and performance evaluation
- FTP and economic capital allocation
- Control of credit and market risks
Marketing of financial services
- Big data and customer analytics
- Social media
- Digital banking
Karel Cool is a Professor of Strategic Management and the BP Chaired Professor of European Competitiveness at INSEAD. His research, teaching, and consulting focus on problems of industry dynamics and competitive strategy (e.g., competitive positioning; assessment of profit opportunities in market...
Massimo Massa is the Rothschild Chaired Professor of Banking and a Professor of Finance at INSEAD. He teaches international finance, corporate finance, asset management, behavioural finance, and governance in MBA, EMBA, PhD and Executive Education programmes. He has an MBA from the Yale School of...
Joerg Niessing is an Affiliate Professor of Marketing at INSEAD and is passionate about bridging the academic and the business world on topics related to marketing, branding and digitization. He holds a PhD in Marketing from the University of Muenster. His credentials do not only come from his ac...
Michael Shiel is adjunct professor of strategy at INSEAD, where he teaches on the core strategy course on the MBA, and leads tailor-made executive programmes for large client companies. He is a member of the core team teaching the open-enrolment programme on Blue Ocean Strategy at INSEAD. He also...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.