Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Booth School of Business.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Learn to manage cross-functional, cross-organizational relationships; build social capital; bridge gaps; form teams to get the job done; and create and manage organizational strategic partnerships.
Today's challenging and complex business environment requires agility in execution and a deep understanding of human dynamics. In this program you will practice leadership agility, enhance your ability to read organizations, and hone your skills in strategy execution.
Throughout the week, you will apply the course material to an individual business challenge and create a strategic action plan to create and deliver value.
By attending this program, you will:
- Identify initiatives that create value.
- Manage across organizational boundaries.
- Structure your business to deliver more value.
- Develop a strategic action plan for delivering value.
The Social Capital of Successful Leaders
- What is social capital?
- Learn how social capital gives executives a competitive advantage
- Understand how leaders build social capital
- Recognize how you are playing a leadership role
- Identify the ways others respond to you and how to influence their response
- Adapt and grow in a new role with broader responsibilities
Building Bridges with Strategic Partners
- Identifying a strategic partner
- Driving the exchange between a leader and a strategic partner
- Strategic partners who help retain high-potential employees
- Understand when creative thinking has the greatest payoff
- Recognize how much creativity is a result of the job and how much is due to the individual
- Identify the barriers to creative thinking at the organizational level and the personal level
- Build commitment that takes hold by communicating with passion and (selling) a mission
Taking Strategic Action
- Look for the proposed benefits and the potential supporters/blockers
- Identify what resources are needed, who has the resources, and how to get buy-in
- Recognize the indicators that stakeholders will be monitoring
- Identify the critical moments and potential roadblocks that can impede the execution
Having a Long-Term Vision for your Business
- Improve your intuition about strategy and the confidence to predict future performance to maximize growth
- Think like a strategist: How is it that great strategists develop their ideas?
- Learn the six iron laws of strategy and the four basic questions of corporate strategy critical to strategic growth
Who should attend
This program is ideal for senior and upper-middle executives, with positions such as department head, general manager, VP, SVP, and C-suite, responsible for executing business strategy. The program is designed to assist leaders in identifying opportunities and mobilizing resources to create value. It is especially recommended for leaders who bring people together from diverse functional groups or lines of business to effectively execute strategic initiatives.
Executives will think creatively and strategically about their leadership roles and learn how to build social capital, broaden their influence to increase productivity, and accomplish performance-driven goals. Throughout the week, participants will work on an individual business challenge and create an action plan for creating and delivering value.
Trust the experts
About John Burrows I teach leadership, negotiations, decision-making, and organizational psychology to MPP, MA, and MBA students at the University of Chicago''s Harris School of Public Policy and Booth School of Business. I also teach MBA and EMBA students at Oxford University''s Saïd Business S...
Harry L. Davis studies leadership, strategy, creativity and innovation. His scholarly research has appeared in a number of top-tier academic journals, including the Journal of Consumer Research and the Journal of Marketing. Among his publications are "The Promising Start-up Within: A Guide to Int...
Heather Caruso focuses her teaching and research on several aspects of human behavior in organizations. These interests center on: the dynamics and social psychology of diverse (e.g., cross-functional, multicultural) teams; the management of identity, power, and influence in organizations; and st...
Strategic Business Leadership: Engagement, Performance, and Execution