Who should attend
The program is designed to assist leaders in identifying opportunities and mobilizing resources to create value. It is especially recommended for senior leaders who bring people together from diverse functional groups or lines of business to effectively execute strategic initiatives.
Titles include: department head, general manager, VP, SVP, project manager, change manager, and C-suite.
About the course
Learn to manage cross-functional, cross-organizational relationships; build social capital; bridge gaps; form teams to get the job done; and create and manage organizational strategic partnerships.
Today's challenging and complex business environment requires agility in execution and a deep understanding of human dynamics. In this program you will practice leadership agility, enhance your ability to read organizations, and hone your skills in strategy execution.
By attending this program, you will:
- Learn how agile leaders adapt to situations and people.
- Practice leading, following, and collaborating to influence outcomes.
- Explore social capital as a means for navigating networks and organizations.
- Identify strategies to manage across organizational boundaries.
The Social Capital of Successful Leaders
- What is social capital?
- Learn how social capital gives executives a competitive advantage
- Understand how leaders build social capital
- Recognize how you are playing a leadership role
- Identify the ways others respond to you and how to influence their response
- Adapt and grow in a new role with broader responsibilities
Building Bridges with Strategic Partners
- Identifying a strategic partner
- Driving the exchange between a leader and a strategic partner
- Strategic partners who help retain high-potential employees
- Understand when creative thinking has the greatest payoff
- Recognize how much creativity is a result of the job and how much is due to the individual
- Identify the barriers to creative thinking at the organizational level and the personal level
- Build commitment that takes hold by communicating with passion and (selling) a mission
Having a Long-Term Vision for your Business
- Improve your intuition about strategy and the confidence to predict future performance to maximize growth
- Think like a strategist: How is it that great strategists develop their ideas?
- Learn the six iron laws of strategy and the four basic questions of corporate strategy critical to strategic growth
John Burrows is senior lecturer in leadership at the University of Chicago’s Harris School of Public Policy and an associate fellow at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School. He also teaches healthcare leadership in a newly launched double masters degree program in health policy taught jointly ...
Harry L. Davis studies leadership, strategy, creativity and innovation. His scholarly research has appeared in a number of top-tier academic journals, including the Journal of Consumer Research and the Journal of Marketing. Among his publications are "The Promising Start-up Within: A Guide to Int...
I teach strategic thinking and entrepreneurship at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. We work with leaders to apply cutting edge insights from decision science to major business and societal problems. Gregory D. Bunch draws on a wealth of experience as an entrepreneur, manager, ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.